Browser display works in Mac OS but not Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7.1 and Windows (XP?) on Parallels

Description of the issue

I created layouts on my Mac in FMP 11, but when used on our Windows machines (Mac running Windows via Parallel, Windows version of FMP 11), the font is too big for the text box and part is cut off.  No fancy font, just the default Helvetica.  They ought to look the same.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a simple layout in FMP 11 on Mac that has text boxes with text that nearly fills the box (might need to be more than one line). It looks OK in Browse mode on Mac version.

Pull up the same layout in Browse mode on the Windows version.

Expected result

They should look identical.

Actual result

The Windows version doesn't fit in the box - part is cut off.
      The screenshot I uploaded is the OK Mac version.  When I view it in Windows, some of the text in red is cut off (the bottom half of the second line).

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

Configuration information

I was just using the default Helvetica font.  One "problem" pane was in boldface, but I think others were not.

Screen_Shot_2011-09-09_at_4.57.55_AM.png

• 1. Re: Browser display works in Mac OS but not Windows
          philmodjunk

This is a long standing difference between Mac and Windows platforms. The same size block of text takes a bit more vertical and horizontal space in order to be properly displayed. This is one of the reasons Experienced developers test cross platform solutions on both systems before deploying them.

This little quirk with text, BTW, is why I recommend devloping layouts on the windows system, then opening and checking them on a Mac system. Few layouts need adjsuting for Mac compatibility if first developed in Windows...