This is definitely not a bug - it is user error. You have set up the validation incorrectly.
You have this:
If(Get(PrivilegeSetName) = "Admin";1;
If(Get(PrivilegeSetName) = "Developer" & "¶" & "Admin" & "¶" & "Service" & "¶" & "Sales";1;
First of all each user belongs to one and only one privilege set.
So the second test will never be true.
So I suspect you want to allow the action for Admin, Developer, Service and Sales privilege sets. You will also have to allow for the built in [Full Access] privilege set.
So the calculation I would use is this:
FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Admin" ) or
FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Developer" ) or
FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Service" ) or
FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Sales" ) or
FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "[Full Access]" )
This will return the value 1 (true) if any of the tests are true.
Remember that this is testing for privilege sets. Do you have a privilege set called Developer or does the Developer account use the [Full Access] privilege set?
It's not user error, Filemaker should report there is an error in the validation when the record is trying to be committed.
I should mention I did not touch the field with the faulty validation..
I could not just make a blank record without the error.
And the validation worked fine in Filemaker 6
OK, well something is being lost in the translation from v5 to v7.
What was the original validation calculation in v5?
What were the original groups in v5? (since privilege sets did not exist)
You are missing the whole point here. The validation fails and filemaker does not report it via the OS X graphical interface.
The field which didn't validate on creation of the new blank record should give an error stating as such, instead filemaker just reports you are not autorized to etc. as above.
I've already worked out the fix for the issue, im just pointing it out to filemaker, as the bug doesn't exist in IWP but it does in the GUI v9 client.
I should make perfectly clear to filemaker when investigating this issue,
The issue isn't how I validated the field originally in the FM5 file, its that Filemaker 9 didn't give an error saying a validation failed in field XXXXX, it just gave a generic random restricted access error as if I was not [full access] on the file.
The error reported via IWP fine, but not thru the GUI
I do not wish to fix the validation, I assume any validation that fails will report the same error, or for some reason, the particular hacked up validation I wrote 7 years ago as a bad filemaker developer somehow causes FM9 to go bezerk due to a particular function. Either way, the actual bug here is that I didn't touch the field requiring authorization, the fact that it had auto enter data on a field where the validation failed caused filemaker to meltdown.