5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2009 5:30 AM by macmedic

Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3

macmedic

Summary

Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3

Description of the issue

Bug "You are not authorised to change this information" FMP9.0v3   FileMaker Product(s) involved Filemaker 9.0v3Operating System(s) involved OS X 10.x (10.5.6)Detailed description of the issue When trying to add a new record and commit as a full access user you get the following message You are not authorised to change this information  Exact steps to reproduce the issueUpgraded from fm5 to fm7 (from 6 to 9) This validation calc was in one of the fields If(Get(PrivilegeSetName)  = "Admin";1;If(Get(PrivilegeSetName)  = "Developer" & "¶" & "Admin" & "¶" & "Service" & "¶" & "Sales";1;0))   Expected Result For filemaker to report the "Validation in the field name :xxxxxx failed" feedback report the field the validation failed onActual ResultYou are not authorised to change this information, Can not commit to new records. Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedYou are not authorised to change this informationAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueAny workarounds that you have foundI decided to try and access the page via the instant web publishing engine and it advised me the actual field causing the issue, ive now turned off the validation.   

• 1. Re: Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3
          davidhead

This is definitely not a bug - it is user error. You have set up the validation incorrectly.

You have this:

If(Get(PrivilegeSetName)  = "Admin";1;

If(Get(PrivilegeSetName)  = "Developer" & "¶" & "Admin" & "¶" & "Service" & "¶" & "Sales";1;

0))  

First of all each user belongs to one and only one privilege set.

So the second test will never be true. 

So I suspect you want to allow the action for Admin, Developer, Service and Sales privilege sets. You will also have to allow for the built in [Full Access] privilege set.

So the calculation I would use is this:

FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Admin" ) or

FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Developer" ) or

FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Service" ) or

FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "Sales" ) or

FilterValues ( Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) ; "[Full Access]" ) 

This will return the value 1 (true) if any of the tests are true.

Remember that this is testing for privilege sets. Do you have a privilege set called Developer or does the Developer account use the [Full Access] privilege set? 

• 2. Re: Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3
            macmedic

It's not user error, Filemaker should report there is an error in the validation when the record is trying to be committed.

I should mention I did not touch the field with the faulty validation..

I could not just make a blank record without the error. 

And the validation worked fine in Filemaker 6 

• 3. Re: Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3
              davidhead

OK, well something is being lost in the translation from v5 to v7.

What was the original validation calculation in v5?

What were the original groups in v5? (since privilege sets did not exist) 

• 4. Re: Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3
                macmedic

Hi David,

You are missing the whole point here. The validation fails and filemaker does not report it via the OS X graphical interface. 

The field which didn't validate on creation of the new blank record should give an error stating as such, instead filemaker just reports you are not autorized to etc. as above.

I've already worked out the fix for the issue, im just pointing it out to filemaker, as the bug doesn't exist in IWP but it does in the GUI v9 client. 

• 5. Re: Bug "You are not authorized to change this information" FMP9.0v3
                  macmedic

I should make perfectly clear to filemaker when investigating this issue,

The issue isn't how I validated the field originally in the FM5 file, its that Filemaker 9 didn't give an error saying a validation failed in field XXXXX, it just gave a generic random restricted access error as if I was not [full access] on the file.

The error reported via IWP fine, but not thru the GUI

I do not wish to fix the validation, I assume any validation that fails will report the same error, or for some reason, the particular hacked up validation I wrote 7 years ago as a bad filemaker developer somehow causes FM9 to go bezerk due to a particular function. Either way, the actual bug here is that I didn't touch the field requiring authorization, the fact that it had auto enter data on a field where the validation failed caused filemaker to meltdown.