Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7.1.1

Description of the issue

Hi there,

I have discovered a bug with FileMaker Go where it fails to properly perform the "Go To Field" script step.

I have created a multi-window FileMaker Go solution, so that different tables are opened in different windows.

When the user launches the FileMaker Go solution, it takes them to a Main Menu layout (Main Menu table), and there are 2 buttons to tap on: "Go to Invoices Table" and "Go To Contacts Table".

When they tap on one of those buttons, the FileMaker Go database evaluates whether that window (table) is already open in a separate window. If it is already open in a separate window, it simply takes them to that already-open window. If it is NOT open in a separate window, then it simply creates a new window for them that automatically takes them to the appropriate layout and table.

Take a look at the attached screenshot for a script that demonstrates this behavior. It is a very simple & straightforward script. No trickery involved! ;)

Everything always works 100% perfectly fine on FileMaker Go… EXCEPT FOR THAT LAST SCRIPT STEP: "Go To Field".

The "Go To Field" script step will *ONLY* execute if a *NEW WINDOW* was created during the If/EndIf conditional statement. If the "SELECT WINDOW" function was selected during the conditional statement, then the "Go To Field" script step IS NOT EXECUTED AT ALL.

In other words, FileMaker will only "Go To Field" if it is creating a new window. It will NOT "Go To Field" if it is selecting a window that already exists.

PLEASE NOTE: IN ORDER TO REPRODUCE THIS BUG, YOU MUST RUN THIS SCRIPT FROM *ANOTHER* OPEN WINDOW IN FILEMAKER GO. Do not run this script from the very same window. So, in my case, this script is triggered from a different window entitled "Main Menu", which is a completely different table & layout altogether.

(ALSO NOTE: I have toolbars hidden in my solution, and I have custom menus set to display NO menus.)

Thanks,
      Scott

Screen_Shot_2014-04-28_at_9.38.28_PM.png

• 1. Re: Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step
          TSGal

soctty321:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue with the above script in FileMaker Go.  This works as intended with FileMaker Pro under both Mac OS X 10.9.2 and Windows 7.  I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing for review.

As a workaround, insert a "Refresh Window" script step after "Go to Layout" and prior to "Go to Field".

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step
            scottworld

Thanks so much for the workaround! That is excellent, and it works perfectly!! :) I was looking for a workaround, but I didn't even think about trying the "Refresh Window" script step… thank you! :)

• 3. Re: Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step
              philmodjunk

Hmmm....

That work around may resolve a number of issues that I am seeing (and have previously discussed with TSGal) in Fm GO.

Time to review some scripts in a couple of solutions to see if a Refresh step might be inserted.... (I've already been thinking of trying a pause with a fraction of a second specified interval, but this sounds like something to try first.)

• 4. Re: Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step
                scottworld

Yes, I had tried "pause" yesterday as one of my own homegrown workarounds, but it didn't fix this problem. "Refresh Window" was what was needed!

• 5. Re: Bug in FileMaker Go with "Go To Field" script step
                  philmodjunk

In my case, I've got a system where you tap a record on a list view and a script uses set field to set up a series of global fields with values from the record that was tapped on an edit screen. If you tap "save" a script uses set field to "save" the changed data back to the original record.

99% of the time, it works just fine. But every now and then--whether I left the DB open for an extended time or just now launched the FM GO app, the global fields show up as all empty fields--even global fields not modified by the set field steps.

Once that happens, I have to quit and restart the FM GO app before the issue goes away.

Inserting a refresh window step in there will do no harm and if it results in this issue no longer occurring will be both a welcome "fix" and a clue to pass on to the TS folks.