13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2010 1:58 PM by norman926

Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV

norman926

Summary

Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV

Description of the issue

When I create a back up  (or save) button and click on save as  PDF (under reccords), when i create the run tim solution, it doesn't work at all. In the programmer version it works perfecly and i made sure that tthe settings were all perfect and all the correct  profiles were checked including printing etc:in FM Pro 10 Adv it works perfectly.. If i go to the top of the page and click file and then save as it will only save as an xl file which for my needs are no good..Can you help? Normanemail address is norman@sgmscorp.com

• 1. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
          Steve Wright

Runtimes can not create PDF files, for this you will need a plugin.

PDF Files can only be created with full copies of Filemaker Pro or Advanced.

Likewise, charts do not work in runtimes either, neither do any networking, web publishing or other data sharing mechanisms

• 2. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
            norman926

I have the full copy of fmpro 11 adv and if you look under records it say save as pdf or excel ... and it works in 10,.3 and 9 and so on why?

• 3. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
              Steve Wright

stormn wrote:

When I create a back up  (or save) button and click on save as  PDF (under reccords), when i create the run tim solution, it doesn't work at all. In the programmer version it works perfecly and i made sure that tthe settings were all perfect and all the correct  profiles were checked including printing etc:

in FM Pro 10 Adv it works perfectly..

I was referring to the part above in bold... when you create a run time solution...

In order to use Save as PDF the file must be opened within Filemaker Pro or Advanced, not using the runtime executable files.

Save as PDF has not worked in ANY runtime version of filemaker.

Perhaps I am mis-understanding your problem...

• 4. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                norman926

i know that i had it working in 10.3, but assuming i am wrong how do i get a back up in runtime that can be excel or pdf, you mentioned i needed something else it's late and I can't think of what you said i needed .  could you do tthat for me??? becuase this is a medical database that can save someones llfe and I know that they would want to back it up for when i have updates so they can import the data or just to have as a back up becuase they don't have the full program all they have is the runtime solution.. N

• 5. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                  5104919325FTN

Is this an Easter egg?

Some hidden message, I didn't get?

I write this because I don't understand your point at all.

It sounds to me like

Iteration 01 : "I know this is not going, but it must go ..."

Iteration 02 : "[same as above], can you do it ?"

Iteration 03 : "[same as above], for me ?"

Iteration 04 : "[same as above] for free ?"

Iteration 05  : "[same as above] to save lifes ?"

( of course, if you are a gamer, you can read Level instead of Iteration )

Below that, I would never trust someone, who want to get something but don't even give a single information about himself ...

And shows the importance of his request only by the words "save someone lifes" instead by the time he invests to write consistently ...

And complaining with a loud and indifferentiated BIG LETTERED overhasty "bug! duck and cover!" title ...

Note : If you have a very slow connection, use a text editor before posting. Then, to answer a reply, copy and paste the reply message you want to answer, edit yout answer, and post it, when it's finished.

Explanation : Maybe your are in Haiti and it is very urgent, and nobody will work on this, because of the negative feelings ...  (fabrice, fabrice, tsss tsss, it sounds like a sermon—well, maybe because it's sunday)

• 6. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                    Steve Wright

stormn wrote:

i know that i had it working in 10.3, but assuming i am wrong how do i get a back up in runtime that can be excel or pdf

Well backing up a database is completely different to saving something as a PDF, thats for sure...

Why not use Save Copy of file, or export records script steps to export as CSV, Tab or other data.

Personally, I use Save Copy - to save a copy of the DB to a filemaker .fp7 file

Then when an upgrade is released, I have scripts which import from the .fp7 file.

I mentioned a plugin for PDF creation, because this is the only way you can do it via a runtime, well... of course you can also use a PDF printer driver on windows or other methods on a mac (im not familiar with yet)

• 7. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                      norman926

Sorry about the caps, i forget that it is considered shouting..

No I am not in Haiti but good old Fla. the problem is this.  and I might be wrong, but I remember that when i creaated my program i made a button at the bottom of the page and under the records part when i clicked on button setup, and then i clicked on save as pdf, it worked and when I created the run time i clicked on the button and again it saved it to my desktop as a pdf ffile.. (currrent recorrd). but in 11 adv, it didn't.. Could I have been wrong?  Maybe...

But is there is a plug in to do that, can you do it or could you tell me how or where to get the plug in or how to create one?

If you like I can send you a copy of my program so you can see exactly what I am talking about but you have to sign a NDC (Non disclosure agreement) first ok?  Norman

• 8. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                        norman926

But what if I want to export to a different database can i use  the formats you suggested and to import from them as well???

• 9. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                          Steve Wright

Hi Normal.

I think you may be mistaken with the Save as PDF...

See page  47   of  http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmpa10_development.pdf

and this is for Filemaker 10.  The same holds true for filemaker 11.

Appendix A - Feature comparison of the runtime application with FileMaker Pro

To outline a few of the items listed : 

• Runtime applications cannot be shared over a network.
                          • Runtime applications do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files.
                          • FileMaker Pro Advanced features are not available in the runtime application.

A runtime database can, however, be opened in either FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced. The full functionality of these applications will be enabled, except if full access privileges have been removed.

Perhaps this is what you have experienced ??

• Runtime applications don’t support external SQL data sources (ESS), ODBC import, or the Execute SQL script step.

The plugin I use with my runtimes is : http://myfmbutler.com/index.lasso?p=367

They have a demo with sample files you can download and see if it suites, but there are many more available, just google Filemaker PDF plugin

• 10. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                            norman926

Thanks so very much for all your help.  Sorry to be such a PIA (pain in the butt)  .

This program is very importantg because it can save lives and that iis important to me. Norman

• 11. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                              norman926

would you believe that the link won't open and when ii go to fmbutler that site won't open either

• 12. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                                Steve Wright

stormn wrote:

would you believe that the link won't open and when ii go to fmbutler that site won't open either

Site is working fine for me...  I just checked it.

• 13. Re: Bug in FM PRO 11 ADV
                                  norman926

thnx