3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 1:24 PM by TSGal

bug report: Print[restore] script step fails to restore some settings.

GregD

Summary

bug report: Print[restore] script step fails to restore some settings.

Description of the issue

Hi Modman: I am going to follow your form for this issues. FileMaker Product(s) involved:   FileMaker Pro Advanced v10.0v3.  Interestingly, FileMaker Pro Advanced 8.5v2 did and does not have this problem Operating System(s) involved: Mac OS X 10.5.7.    I do not have a Windows version. Detailed description of the issue:      I think I have created a fairly simple example that recreates the problem.    A DB with two records, one field.      I create two scripts with one command, print[restore]: one, call it RBB, specifying the attribute "records being browsed" and the other, CR, specifying "current record".  I run RBB first and suppose it works.  Then I run CR but the attribute is still set to "records being browsed".  I can manually adjust the value in the dialog box to "current record" and continue with the script.  OK.   Now run RBB and the attribute is set to "current record".   Of course I can manually adjust the dialog box on each run of the script but that defeats the purpose of creating a script. Interestingly, I can run the same scripts on the same DB in FileMaker 8.5v2 immediately after and everything runs as desired.   Exact steps to reproduce the issue:    I believe the above are the exact steps. Expected Result: the script will restore the setting "records being browsed" or "current record"Actual Result:  the script presents the setting of "records being browsed" or "current record" from the last print as opposed to what was stored in the script.  Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared: N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:  I can reproduce the error in v10 using preview.  You can save a sheet of paper or two  Any workarounds that you have found: only to manually adjust setting for each print command. Hope I have been clear and precise.Sincerely,-Greg    

• 1. Re: bug report: Print[restore] script step fails to restore some settings.
          TSGal

GregD:

Thank you for your post.

If you change the script to print without dialog, the saved setting will be sent to the printer, whether it is RBB or CR.  When you pause, FileMaker defaults to the last printer setting and then allows you to change the settings.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: bug report: Print[restore] script step fails to restore some settings.
            micinfo

Hi TSGal:

I believe what he's saying is that there are two checkboxes in the Print[] step: One lets you print without the dialog and the other saves certain print parameters. So, for example, you can uncheck the print without dialog box so you can select a printer, but you can check the "Specify" box and 'hardwire' the step to print the CR vs RBB. That is exactly the flexibility the command offers in 8.5v2. Earlier versions had the same functionality. It just makes sense to do it that way: present the user with the opportunity to select the printer, but have the database specify what it is that will be printed. Does v10 not work the same way (I'm currently on 8.5v2 and so I would like to know what to look forward to since I'm in the process of still debugging our conversion from FM6.0v4.

-Phil. 

• 3. Re: bug report: Print[restore] script step fails to restore some settings.
              TSGal

micinfo:

This seems to work the way it is intended in FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.  This is what I have done on my iMac running OS X 10.5.8:

1. With a database file open, I created a script "Records Being Browsed".  The script step is:

Print [ Restore ]

The print options is set to Records Being Browsed.  The script is then saved.

2. I created a second script "Current Record" with the script step:

Print [ Restore ]

The print options is set to Current record.  The script is then saved.

3. I execute the script "Records Being Browsed", and the print dialog box displays "Records Being Browsed".

4. I execute the script "Current Record", and the print dialog box displays "Current record".

If I take this to another printer that does not have the same printer driver, then it will default setting of the default printer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.