9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 9:03 AM by TSGal

Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature

scottworld

Summary

Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature

Description of the issue

Hello there, We discovered a bug with FileMaker 10's "live subsummary" feature. This has been tested on FileMaker Pro 10 running on Mac OS X 10.5.6.  Create a layout that has a body part and a subsummary part. In the subsummary part, only put MERGE FIELDS. Don't put any real fields in the subsummary part -- just merge fields. Go into browse mode and view your records as a list. Add a few records, and be sure to sort your data so that the subsummary part becomes visible to you in browse mode. Everything is fine so far. Everything is working normally, just as you'd expect. There are no problems yet. However, stay in browse mode and view your data as a TABLE (choose "View-->View As Table"), and suddenly, the merge fields in your subsummary part become EDITABLE FIELDS. The user can actually CHANGE the data within the merge fields, thus changing certain records' data as well. Merge fields are ALWAYS supposed to be read-only fields... they're never supposed to be editable by the user at all. But this bug suddenly makes all of your merge fields editable by the user.

• 1. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

Table View supports a subset of layout characteristics (no sliding, for example) and adds new characteristics of its own (resizable and sortable columns).  Merge fields are treated as normal fields in Table View and therefore can be edited.  This has always occurred since the introduction of Merge fields in FileMaker Pro 5.5.

If you are a developer, and you do not want the user to modify the contents of a merge field, then you can disable Table View for any layout that contains a merge field.

I would suggest that you enter this suggestions into our feature request web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
            scottworld
               Thank you so much for this info. I didn't realize that this was a feature of FileMaker. As a developer, I almost never use table view, so I just stumbled upon this last week.  Thanks!!
            • 3. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
              hschlossberg
                 Is it also an expected feature, then, that fields referenced in the conditional formatting calcs for those text blocks would also be editable in table view?  For example, if the formula for conditional formatting on a text block is to change the text color when IsEmpty(ORD::CompanyID), then table view also displays and makes editable the ORD::CompanyID field, even though that field is not displayed on the layout while in form view or list view.  Is this a feature or a bug?
              • 4. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                TSGal

howards:

If the field is not on the layout, then it will not be included in Table view.  For example, your ORD::Company ID field is not on the layout, then it will not appear in Table View even though it is referenced in your conditional formatting field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                  hschlossberg

TSGal wrote:

If the field is not on the layout, then it will not be included in Table view.  For example, your ORD::Company ID field is not on the layout, then it will not appear in Table View even though it is referenced in your conditional formatting field.

Not true.  When you apply Conditional Formatting to a real field object,referenced fields (in the conditional formula) are not included in thetable view.  BUT when you include field references in a conditionalformatting formula applied to a merge field object, those fields ARE included in the table view. 

• 6. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                    TSGal

howards:

I stand corrected  Referenced fields are included for Merge fields with conditional formatting!

Good catch, and I continue to learn more every day.  :-)

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                      hschlossberg

TSGal wrote:

I stand corrected  Referenced fields are included for Merge fields with conditional formatting!

Good catch, and I continue to learn more every day.  :-)

And would that be considered a feature or a bug?

• 8. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                        TSGal

howards:

I don't know if it is a feature or a bug.  IT is definitely inconsistent, and I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  When I receive some feedback, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Bug with FileMaker 10's subsummary feature
                          TSGal

howards:

I received a response that Development is aware of this inconsistency and it has been logged.  Therefore, it is not a feature.  :-)

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.