1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 12:01 PM by TheCDKing

Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard

scottworld

Summary

Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

Ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard last week, we have been having an ongoing weird issue with FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3. When we are using ANY database — whether it is a local database on our own hard drive, or a database that we are connected to on a remote FileMaker Server machine -- FileMaker stops responding to any mouse clicks or keyboard presses for about 5 seconds, and then it starts responding again. This problem REPEATS ITSELF every few minutes! We would say that the problem repeats every 2-3 minutes. We've tried restarting our machine and running some light maintenance on our Mac, too... all to no avail.Whenever this happens, FileMaker's usage of our CPU in the Activity Monitor skyrockets to 99.7% for those 5 seconds, and then it goes back down to the normal 0.2% again. Actually, during the time that FileMaker freezes, it literally takes over our whole computer... we can't switch to any other programs during that time. As soon as FileMaker's CPU activity drops back down to normal again, our whole computer is back to normal again. This ONLY happens when FileMaker is the active foreground application and we are actively working in it... if FileMaker is sitting in the background not doing anything (even if there are open databases), it doesn't attempt to take over the CPU at all.FileMaker is the ONLY program on our Mac that is experiencing this problem — all our other programs are acting just fine. Even the normal apps that we love to blame for the world's problems, like the Microsoft Office Suite, are all acting just fine. Can you please fix ASAP? 

• 1. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

Although I cannot duplicate the problem (FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 is running constantly on a 10.6.1 machine), I would like to get some additional information. 

Are you using OS X 10.6 or OS X 10.6.1?   Are you using any custom menus on any of the open files?  Are any scripts running?  Are you running any Install OnTimer Script step?  When this problem repeats itself, is it a constant time interval or sporadic interval?  Is there any kind of backup utility running?  Is the file hosted on a server?

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
            scottworld

Hi there,

I am running 10.6.1. All of my open files have custom menus, but they may be as simple as just one custom "Edit" menu with "Paste As Plain Text" in the place of "Paste". No scripts running. No Install OnTimer script steps. No script triggers in any of these solutions. It seens to repeat itself at a fairly regular interval, every 60 seconds. The only backup utility running is Time Machine. This happens with any file -- some hosted on servers, some local.

I'm going to try to do a clean install of 10.6 on my machine and see if that clears anything up.

Thanks,

Scott 

• 3. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
              TSGal

scotty321:

A clean install of Snow Leopard may not fix the issue.

Since this appears to be happening at a regular interval, is there anything on your system that is activated every minute?  For instance, does Time Machine run every minute?  I'm specifically looking for a utility or program that activates every minute that may require some (or all) of the CPU, and this conflict with FileMaker is what I'm trying to narrow down.

Any ideas?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                scottworld

I don't know of anything on my computer that would be running every minute, although I don't know how often MobileMe syncing checks the computer. MobileMe may check for changes every minute... I've got MobileMe set to  "automatically" sync in the MobileMe system preference.

I ran the dtruss command in the Terminal to see what's going on, and it looks like every time FileMaker hangs, this line repeats DOZENS OF TIMES in a row in the Terminal:

<!--  StartFragment  -->gettimeofday(0xBFFFF108, 0x0, 0x3)
                <!--  EndFragment  -->

Although other FileMaker developers have told me that this is normal for this command to show up in the Terminal. But I don't know if they're seeing this command DOZENS OF TIMES, though. Whenever FileMaker hangs, that item shows up in the Terminal dozens of times in a row. When FileMaker stops freezing, that command stops appearing.

• 5. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                  scottworld

By the way, i also completely uninstalled FileMaker Pro Advanced by trashing the FileMaker Pro Advanced 10 Folder, and ALL of its preferences, and every trace of it from my entire hard drive... and then I reinstalled it from scratch. Same problem.

This problem started happening the day I installed Snow Leopard. Everything was working fine in Leopard. 

• 6. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                    scottworld

Turns out that this bug also happens with FileMaker 9 as well, ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard.

I think this bug has something to do with FileMaker trying to share the files over a network, because I just opened up one of my files that froze for 5 seconds upon starting up (no opening script, these are very simple files), and then it gave me the warning message about "This file cannot be shared beause network sharing is turned off" or whatever that error message says. However, when I went into the FileMaker networking screen, networking was ALREADY TURNED OFF ("No Users") for that particular file. But FileMaker erroneously believed that that file was trying to be shared.

I ran a consistency check on all my files and they are fine. I even recovered them, just for good measure, and the problem still happens.

I even checked my external file links (the file paths)... there are no unresolved file paths, only a few local files. (I'm currently testing this bug on my local files, but this happens with hosted files too.)

Everything was fine the day before with Leopard... all the problems started with Snow Leopard. 

• 7. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                      scottworld

Yes, I think I'm figuring this out here. It's some sort of FileMaker networking bug. 

When I went into FileMaker>Sharing>FileMaker Network, network sharing was indeed turned OFF (as it had always been). But when I turned it on, FileMaker gets very confused and starts listing a series of different IP addresses for me! 192.168.1.197; 192.168.49.1; 192.168.155.1; and it keeps going and going and going... where is it getting all of these IP addresses from?! FileMaker is CRAZY!!!

This clearly has something to do with it, because I've noticed that in ALL prior versions of FileMaker, there was ANOTHER BUG. Even if you had network sharing turned OFF, all the other Macs on the network could STILL see the name of your computer in their "Open Remote..." dialog box.  So FileMaker is ALWAYS trying to share itself on the network, even if you tell it not to.

So in any case, this seems to be the problem. FileMaker is crazy when it comes to networking, and doesn't know how to properly figure out IP addresses in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I don't know how to solve this, but at least I can see what the problem is. 

• 8. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                        scottworld
                           However, the bug continues to happen -- whether or not network sharing is turned on or off.
                        • 9. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                          TSGal

scotty321:

Thanks for the extra information.

I was using FileMaker Pro on my Snow Leopard machine here constantly for ten minutes plus with a local and networked file, and I never encountered a slow down or freeze, so I'm not sure it is a network problem.

I'd like for you to create a new user account, open FileMaker Pro and a local file and see if you can duplicate the problem.  I'm assuming the problem will continue, because I have a feeling it is an OS issue.

Did you install Snow Leopard over Leopard?  Or, was it a clean installation?

By the way, the Recover command is not a cure-all solution, so please go back and use your original files.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                            scottworld

Yep, I tried it with a brand new user account that I just created, and the same thing happened there!

I installed Snow Leopard over Leopard.

I think my only recourse at this point is to reinstall Snow Leopard again.

I just don't know why FileMaker would list 3 IP addresses for me in the "FileMaker Network..." screen... I've never seen that before in my life. FileMaker is getting confused about my IP addresses... it's trying to resolve something over the network that doesn't need to be resolved. And I don't have 3 IP addresses! I don't even have 3 active network services... just 1 network service, my wireless Airport connection.

• 11. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                              scottworld

I ran the ifconfig command in the Terminal, and sure enough, it lists those 3 IP addresses there. One of them is my IP address for my Mac, but the other 2 are in use by VMWare Fusion! Weird, since VMWare Fusion hasn't been launched on my machine in ages (and my Windows XP installation inside of VMWare fusion is shut down, not sleeping.)

Even after shutting down those 2 other IP addresses in the Terminal, the problem still happens in FileMaker.... it freezes every 60 seconds. So maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here -- maybe FileMaker is SUPPOSED to show those 3 IP addresses in the "FileMaker Network" dialog box, so maybe that has nothing to do with the problem at all.

But I would have the FileMaker engineers test this on a machine running VMWare Fusion (with Windows installed within VMWare Fusion) and see what happens.

It certainly does seem like FileMaker is having some network IP trouble here, but who knows. 

• 12. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                                scottworld
                                   <!--  StartFragment  -->Okay, I think I figured out this problem, and I don't think it's a networking issue at all. I think it was a conflict with a 3rd-party piece of software I had on my computer called RightZoom <http://www.blazingtools.com/downloads.html>, which is a great little utility that makes the Mac's green "maximize" button act the way a maximize button is SUPPOSED to act — the way that Microsoft got it right with Windows.

I told RightZoom to no longer be active in FileMaker, and FileMaker seems to be behaving properly again.

Although this doesn't explain why the problem continued to happen when I created a brand new "test" user account on my computer to test this problem, since RightZoom was only active on my normal user account... it is only installed at the user level and is only active in Activity Monitor under "My Processes".  So I'm still scratching my head over that one....

But in any case, it seems to be working for now, and I've informed the RightZoom people that they've got some sort of a FileMaker/Snow Leopard bug going on here.

Thanks again for your help! I think this looks like it's resolved for now... well, I'm keeping fingers crossed that this is resolved...

See ya,
                                Scott
                                <!--  EndFragment  -->

• 13. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                                  scottworld
                                     I talked to the company that makes RightZoom and they seem to believe that this bug is FileMaker's fault. This makes sense to me, since FileMaker doesn't adhere to any of the windowing standards that are a part of Mac OS X. For example, for the last 6 years, FileMaker users have never been able to right-click on the FileMaker icon in the dock and see a list of the open windows in FileMaker. This is standard Mac OS X window behavior, but FileMaker overrides this with its own custom behavior. That's just one example of how FileMaker doesn't stick to Mac OS X standards. In any case, perhaps somebody in engineering can look into this conflict between FileMaker and RightZoom, which could be part of a larger compatibility issue with FileMaker?
                                  • 14. Re: Bug with Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and Snow Leopard
                                    TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for all of your testing and narrowing this down.

I have forwarded the entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can review and confirm.  When more information becomes available from them, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 3 Previous Next