2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 9:46 PM by nutsonshells

Bug:  Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] issue with second monitor screen

fmweetbicks

Summary

Bug:  Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] issue with second monitor screen

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involvedFileMaker Pro 10.0.3 Advanced tested on… Operating System(s) involvedMac OS X 10.5.8, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.  Monitors in use are Samsung 24" as the Primary,  and MacBook Pro's laptop as the secondary monitor (where the issue occurs).Detailed description of the issueProblem occurs with a dual monitor setup.  In this case a 24" as primary and the laptop screen as secondary.  I have a database open, which opens by default on the main monitor with top/left coordinates 0/0.   If then at any stage I either move the main database window to the secondary laptop monitor - or create a new window and move that one - then whenever I attempt to either maximise that window, or use the Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] option, an issue occurs.  The bug is that the window in effect becomes reduced in height by about 40% (so a scrollbar is present on a fully originally maximised window).  The top coordinate of the window is also set to 0 so it moves to the top of the secondary screen. Once this happens, no matter how much I click the maximize button again,  the window can never restore itself to it's native height/width.   NOTE:  Remember that on a mac, the maximize button operates a bit different than on a PC,  when used, it is like a toggle between the windows native dimensions, and a user-set height-width that can be set using the drag part of the window in the lower right corner.  Exact steps to reproduce the issueOpen a database in the main window and adjust window (resize to fit) or maximise so that it begins at it's native height/width dimensions (ie the bounds of the layout itself).   Move that window over to the secondary monitor and repeat the first step. It should happen with any luck.Expected ResultI would expect the window to behave exactly the same as if it were on the main monitor, that being operating how the maximize/adjust window features should work.Actual ResultI think that has already been explained in length.Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedThere is no error message Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueCan't think of anything elseAny workarounds that you have foundI encountered this issue when creating a new window and using custom functions to position it centered in front of the original window.  When I did the same thing with the original window on the second monitor I got this issue.   The solution was to just create the new window with the exact height/width set originally, and to not use adjust window [ resize to fit ] to give the window it's correct dimensions.

• 1. Re: Bug:  Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] issue with second monitor screen
          TSGal

Weetbicks:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem.  I am using FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced on an MacBook running Mac OS X 10.5.8.  The second monitor is a Mac 20" display.

I created a test file (Test.fp7), adjusted the layout to be larger than a page, and created a script that has only the script step:

Adjust Window [ Resize to fit ]

I resize it on the MacBook, drag it over to the 20" display and manually resize it, and execute the script.  It fits to screen just fine.  I have sized it and resized it several times without any problems.

I'm looking for another machine where I can use a MacBook Pro as a second monitor.

If you have a sample file that duplicates the problem consistently, please send it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bug:  Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] issue with second monitor screen
            nutsonshells

Hi

I have the same problem. I set up a layout on my laptop and the screen did not fit 100%. I have created a script to Resize to fit on the laptop, but it is now not resizing correctly when I open the file on a different computer with a bigger screen.

Both computers are on Mac 10.5.8 and Filemaker Advanced 9.

I have fixed the problem, by creating a new layout on the bigger screen and copying the entire content from the old layout into the new layout and removing the old layout.

Its definitely something to do with creating it on a smaller screen.

Thanks

Regine