scott2si

Summary

BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

When you create a new layout using a theme in FM12, you'll notice that each field suddenly has PADDING on the left side of the field. (In other words, the text that you type is not flush left against the left edge of the field.)

Okay, that's fine... BUT YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE PADDING!! What if you want to REMOVE the padding? What if you want to INCREASE the padding?! You can't do it. You USED TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL PADDING VIA THE INSPECTOR, ON THE "APPEARANCE" TAB, UNDERNEATH INDENTS, LEFT INDENT. But that NO LONGER DOES ANYTHING IN FM12.

You ONLY OPTION is to go to the Appearance tab of the Inspector and click on the far right button in the section Style Defaults (i.e. the white box with a red diagonal line). That will remove the padding and make it human-accessible again, YET THAT ALSO REMOVES EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THE THEME ALTOGETHER.

So if you want the theme but without padding, you then have to manually & painstakingly recreate the theme on your own, JUST TO REMOVE THE PADDING.

RIDICULOUS. Is there no shame at all amongst the engineers at FMI? How could they release this crap upon the world?

• 1. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
          philmodjunk

I agree that the padding is a more than I prefer, but:

What if you want to INCREASE the padding?! You can't do it.

Is not something I can replicate in Windows XP. If I select "pts" for units and enter a number in the "Left" box, I see the contents of the selected field shift that number of points.

Of course this isn't anything I can forsee needing to do as the padding that's present is more than I prefer as it is.

• 2. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
            scott2si

I would never want to increase the padding either... the main gist of the bug report is that you can't REMOVE the padding.

• 3. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
              philmodjunk

I agree, but the  minimum padding is a design issue. Not being able to use the left, indent, etc boxes to increase the padding is a bug. If it works on Windows and Not on Mac, it becomes a "mac only" bug--all info that's important to the folks at Filemaker when you post a bug report here.

• 4. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                CamelCase

I'm the first to agree that the implementation of Themes/CSS in FileMaker 12 is very questionable, at least for developers that need to control "everything" (I'm one of them). I just don't use themes... but I'm still very pleased with the new formatting options in FIleMaker 12, and I have come to live with the fact that I need to create my own "template" objects from scratch that I then duplicate.

I can't reproduce the bug reported on the Mac - I can increase the "Indent" without problems.

That being said, it might be interesting to know that the distance between the left edge of the field and where the text starts actually depends on at least two different attributes in the css: "padding-left" and "-fm-paragraph-margin-left". And FMI only gives us access to the latter. And the interface FMI gives us doesn't allow us to enter negative values.

• 5. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                  philmodjunk

You all probably know this already, but for anyone wishing to get their feedback/requests for design changes heard by as many people in FMP Inc. as possible, this link can be used: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

• 6. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                    scott2si

Wait a second, everybody is getting consumed by the wrong thing here. Forget about increasing the padding. I never want to do that. I just threw that out there as an example.

The BUG THAT I AM REPORTING is that you can not REMOVE THE PADDING.

Please, let's forget about increasing the padding.

There is no way to REMOVE the padding.

Can somebody please report this to FMI?

• 7. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                      philmodjunk

I understand what you want, but:

Reporting it here, reports it officially to FileMaker Inc, but it reports it as a bug. FileMaker, I predict will respond that it's not a bug, but it's "as designed" and will suggest that you post a feature request. That is something that should be done here as the "TS" people that read your post here are not likely to be the people that can implement such a design change. Posting a feature request will get your feedback seen by more people at FM Inc than will a post made here.

Incorrectly reporting that the you can't change the padding by increasing it does not help you make your case and correcting that error here is a necessary thing to keep things accurate.

• 8. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                        scott2si

Great, thanks, Phil... I will report it in that other forum. :)

• 9. Re: BUG: Can't control field padding in FM12
                          james_quiggins

Hello scott2si:

Thank you for posting.

As PhilModJunk already explained this is a design change new to FileMaker 12. If you would like to give feedback for additional features in future versions you can report that here.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.