Summary

BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

We have a file with external container storage. We're trying to save a "self-contained copy" of this file. However, it NEVER works. We've tried multiple times. Every time we try it, we get the error message attached below that says "File could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it, or use a different disk." None of those things are the problem. The file is not locked, we have full access to the file, and the disk is not full at all. We have 850 GB of free space available on our disk, and the FileMaker file is only 2 GB large, and the external container files are only 300 MB in size. So, we only need 2.3 GB of space. We have over 850 GB of free space. We've tried everything we can think of to fix the problem, but FileMaker fails every single time. The "self-contained copy" option simply does not work.

Screen_Shot_2013-01-24_at_7.27.28_PM.png

• 1. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
          philmodjunk

Are you using a script to save this copy or selecting this option from the File menu?

the FileMaker file is only 2 GB large, and the external container files are only 300 MB in size. So, we only need 2.3 GB of space.

It would be nice if that were true, but I believe you'll find that the resulting file size is much larger thatn 2.3GB, but certainly not exceeding 850 GB.

Please note that this is a generic message. "could not be created on this disk" is the only really useful information in it. I'd check to see if the location to which you are saving the copy is in a directory for which the current user has "write" permission and double check to make sure that user account permissions (OS settings, not FileMaker) don't need to be repaired. Perhaps you've already investigaged that possibility, but it's not clear from your initial post whether or not you have checked out this possibile issue.

If you are using a script to save the file copy, you might also get this error message if the specified file path--as computed in the path variable, is invalid.

• 2. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
            RickWhitelaw

I've seen this annoying message several times. Annoying because it's misleading. In every case the problem was an invalid or incomplete file path.

My two cents.

• 3. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
              scottworld

Thanks, Phil... unfortunately, I already checked everything that you mentioned. This seems to be a bonafide bug in FileMaker.

I am simply choosing the command from "File>Save A Copy As...". No scripting involved.

I have complete read & write privileges to the original file, and complete read & write privileges to the Desktop folder (which is where I'm trying to save the self-contained file).

I really wish I could resolve this, because it's annoying!

• 4. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
                philmodjunk

Have you tried creating a small test file with a container field with external storage specified to see if you get the same behavior?

I think you recognize this drill: If the test file works, try doing a recover on the original file and see if the recovered copy has the same issue.

• 5. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
                  scottworld

Yes, a small test file works. Where it doesn't work is if you try to save a self-container copy of the BACKUP COPY that FileMaker Server makes of the file (alongside the BACKUP COPY that FileMaker Server makes of the external files).

• 6. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
                    philmodjunk

So if you do this from the original copy of the file it works?

That seems a signficant clue here for the techs to consider...

Is it possible that the path from the backup copy of the database to the back up copy of the container files is not identical??

• 7. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
                      scottworld

Yes, the original copy of the file works. Anybody can reduplicate this problem themselves:

1. Simply host a file with FileMaker Server 12.0v3 (make sure that the file uses external storage)

2. Then, manually run a backup schedule within FileMaker Server to backup the file to your desktop.

3. FileMaker Server will create the backup file on your desktop -- along with a folder of the externally stored files.

4. Open up the file on the desktop, and choose "Save A Copy As (self-contained)". You will get the error message right away.

5. In an attempt to fix the prbolem, you can try changing permissions on both the file and all the externally stored files, to match your own admin permissions on the machine.

6. Yet even if you change permissions to match your admin privileges, you will STILL get the error message.

There seems to be no way to avoid the error messages at all.

• 8. Re: BUG: Can't save a "self-contained copy"
                        philmodjunk

Anybody can reduplicate this problem themselves:

Wll anybody with FileMaker Server 12 installed. I don't myself have access to a machine on which I could set up server 12...wink

My theory here is that the file path FileMaker is using from the backup copy is not valid to access neither the back up copy of the files nor the original folder. But I'm just guessing here, a response from a TS person would be very helpful...