6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 10:29 AM by TSGal

Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting

scott2si

Summary

Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting

Description of the issue

Here's another bug in FileMaker Pro: Put a global date field on a layout. Apply custom date formatting to it (for example, make the field display the date like this: "Tuesday, February 2, 2009"). In browse mode, the custom date formatting shows up just fine. However, once you switch into find mode, FileMaker ignores any custom date formatting that you have applied and it always shows that date like "2/2/09".  This may not seem to be a big deal to the FileMaker engineers, but it really is an important issue because in complex databases where relationships are based on these global date fields, the user may need to see the day of the week to know which relational records he is searching on. I have a very elaborate FileMaker system where the users need exactly this functionality, yet it cannot be done currently because of this bug. Thanks,Scott 

• 1. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
          Steve Wright

The reason it shows the date as 2/2/09 is because that is how the date is stored in the field and also how you need to search for dates

The formatting, is purely for display purposes and does not reflect the true data being store.  

In other words, the fields contents are not February 2, 2009,

You cannot search for February 2, 2009 and whilst in find mode, it is expecting that you may be searching with this field.

At least that's how I see it... 

• 2. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
            scott2si

Actually, FileMaker stores dates as an internal 15-digit number (or something like that). So ALL date fields are ALWAYS displayed with some sort of a date formatting applied. Even the 2/2/09 is applied formatting.

I just realized that I had a typo in my original post. What I meant to say in my original post is that the global date field shows up in Find mode as "2/2/2009". The user manually typed in "2/2/09", so FileMaker is just reverting to this mm/dd/yyyy formatting on its own in Find mode.

• 3. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
              comment_1

scott2si wrote:

Actually, FileMaker stores dates as an internal 15-digit number (or something like that). So ALL date fields are ALWAYS displayed with some sort of a date formatting applied. Even the 2/2/09 is applied formatting.

Actually, FileMaker stores dates "as entered" and that is what you see when you click in the field, or - in case of a global field - in Find mode.

Not sure why the global couldn't stay formatted in Find mode, though - it might be properly called a bug.

• 4. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
                LaRetta_1

I would think it should hold the custom date format in Find mode.  I suppose they didn't consider it because no other field types even display a value in Find.

But if a bug, it's been one back even in vs. 6.0v4. :smileyhappy:

• 5. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
                  LaRetta_1

Wait. Your first post isn't simply a typo in difference than your second - they are totally different.

First post: type 2/2/09 and want display as February 2, 2009. It does in browse but not find.

Next post: Type 2/2/09 and it changes the data to 2/2/2009 and that is what also displays in find.

Many formats are legal when typing a date 2/2 is legal but would change the DATA to 2/2/2009.  Two-digit year is also legal but FM will change it.  That is different issue than DISPLAY based upon custom date format.  Your first post points to inconsistency (maybe even bug) in that custom date format won't hold in find mode.  Your second post points to standard behavior of FM. :smileyhappy:

• 6. Re: Bug: Global date fields in find mode lose date formatting
                    TSGal

scott2si:

Thank you for your posts.

When entering a value in a date field, a two-digit year is automatically expanded to four-digits, regardless of the formatting.

Yes, the formatting of a global field is lost when entering Find mode.  The actual entered contents are shown.  This also applies to formatting Number and Time fields with global storage.

I have submitted this to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.