6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 5:15 AM by AndrewDrury

BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!

scottworld

Summary

BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

We have upgraded to FileMaker 12 in a networked client-server environment. FileMaker Pro 12 is running on the client machine, and FileMaker Server 12 is running on the server machine.

The problem is that FileMaker Pro 12 is ONLY DISPLAYING THE FIRST 100 VALUES (or so) in our drop-down lists!! This was NOT a problem in FileMaker Pro 11!!

The drop-down list is attached to a related field within a portal. The value list references all the values from a text field in a completely different table. This text field is in a table that has 3,000+ records in it.  We need all 3,000 records to show up in the value list, and we need to be able to TYPE AHEAD to jump down to parts of the value list... just like we did in FileMaker 11!

Attached is the screenshot of the value list setup screen.

This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

Screen_shot_2012-05-01_at_12.28.38_PM.png

• 1. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
          scottworld

Okay, here's an update on this issue -- there are actually TWO BUGS happening here.

It looks like this ONLY HAPPENS when "auto-complete using value list" is selected on the layout for the drop-down list. FileMaker is aware of this "behavior change", and describes it here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10084/~/miscellaneous-behavior-changes-in-filemaker-pro-12

Well, that's a TERRIBLE behavior change to begin with, but to make matters worse, it DOESN'T WORK AS ADVERTISED!

These are the 2 bugs happening here:

BUG #1: When you click into the field when a value was ALREADY chosen (beyond the first 100), it doesn't highlight that value in the value list… it still only shows you the first 100 values. When you click in a field that ALREADY HAS A VALUE POPULATED IN IT, FileMaker doesn't highlight that particular value in the list!! It drops down the list with NOTHING SELECTED, even though a valid value was actually selected from the drop-down list. It makes it look like the user hasn't selected a valid value. This is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PROBLEM for our users.

BUG #2: Based on FileMaker's description at that link above, you can assume that when you first click into the EMPTY FIELD, you should see ALL VALUES until you start typing a letter... then, when you type a letter, you should see the first 100 values that begin with that letter. HOWEVER, this doesn't work either!  When you first click into the field when nothing is there, it still truncates to 100. 

This is terrible, and bug #1 is far worse than bug #2.

• 2. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
            TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your posts.

I am able to replicate the issue you described as "BUG #1".  That is, any existing value that occurs after the first 100 values is not highlighted when the drop-down list is activated.  You must click the ellipsis in order to see the value highlighted.  This occurs on both Mac OS X and Windows.  I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

I have sent a request to change the wording of "BUG #2" from "Whenever the drop down list gets destroyed, it defaults back to showing the first 100 entries the next time the drop down list gets created" to "When the drop down list is reinvoked, it defaults to showing the first 100 entries, regardless of entry in the field."  Or, do you have a suggested wording?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, since this is a list of names, have you tried enabling the auto-complete option for this field? That would seem a better option for handling the type ahead issue as with auto-complete the list will filter down to fewer and fewer matches as you type.

The ellipsis feature must be a mac specific one. Using My Windows XP platform, I just dropped down a list of hundreds of names and didn't see any ellipsis. And I can select a value well down the list, exit and re-enter the value list to see it scrolled to the value already entered into the field...

• 4. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
                scottworld

Phil, as I outlined above, the auto-complete option is what causes this gigantic bug. My clients are absolutely furious that they updated to FileMaker 12, because of this horrendous problem and all the other serious problems with this release.

TSGal, your suggested wording is fine. Can you also slap the FMI engineers in the face and tell them that they seriously botched this release of FM 12, and everybody is pissed off about it?

• 5. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
                  philmodjunk

as I outlined above, the auto-complete option is what causes this gigantic bug.

That makes the difference. With auto-complete enabled, I then get the ellipsis and the list fails to show the current value of the field as a highlighted item in the list until I click the ellipsis--which can trigger very long delays on very long value lists.

Definitely a step backward from what was a very useful option for long value lists.

• 6. Re: BUG: Value Lists not displaying in FileMaker 12!
                    AndrewDrury

Still seems the same if FileMaker 130v3.  List appears incompletely in the Value List, with ellipsis at bottom;  click on ellipsis, focus within list jumps back to wherever it was when scrolled down to ellipsis, so you STILL can't see the values at the bottom of the list.  Must scroll down again to access the lowermost values.

Awful nuisance!  If it was taken on board by FileMaker (TSGal posting) in 2012, how come not sorted in v13?