6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 1:18 PM by TSGal

Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool

MarkBanin

Summary

Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

W8.1

Description of the issue

You are viewing a PDF in a container under slide control.

The "Hand" tool is currently selected

You right click to change to "Select" tool

You highlight a word

Right click again - As soon as you right click it locks up.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above

Expected result

I want to right click to copy

Workaround

Highlight the word and use Control + C

• 1. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
          TSGal

Mark Banin:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, I do not have access to a Windows 8.1 computer.  Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 under Windows 7, I am unable to replicate the issue.  Whether I'm right-clicking the highlighted word, or right-clicking somewhere else on the PDF, the right-click menu appears and it does not lock up.

Does this occur for a specific record or all records?  Is the Slide Control in the Body?  Which slide panel does the Container field exist?  What version of Adobe Reader is installed?  Is the Container set up for external storage?  Are you using the file locally or accessing it via a host?

Let me know what other actions I can take to replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
            MarkBanin

Hi

OK, I just checked again and it only seems to occur when you highlight an email or web address.

So just to confirm, you highlight the email or web address in the PDF, right click on it - and that's when it locks up.  It happens with all records but only when your selecting in the PDF.  

I tried it outside of Filemaker - ie doing the same procedure directly through the reader, and it works fine with no lock up.

No, the slide control is outside of the window of the PDF 

Currently the the container embeds the file.

The database is local. 

I'm using Adobe Reader XI

• 3. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
              TSGal

Mark Banin:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro, when you right-click an email address in a field (including an interactive Container field), FileMaker will then activate the default email application and create a blank message addressed email address selected.  Therefore, what is the default email application on that machine?  If a default email application is not set up, then it is possible the application would become unresponsive.

On a similar note, right-clicking a URL in a FileMaker Pro launches your default browser and loads the URL.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
                MarkBanin

Hi, 

Sorry, I think I'm not making it clear

This is not the email application (Outlook 2010) thats the problem - as I do nothing to initiate it.  

It's filemaker that is locking up before i get into any other application.

I've screen saved the problem.  Once I've right clicked, that's it - Filemaker is frozen, nothing is clickable, arrow keys don't work etc.

http://youtu.be/8d-xswwvFS0

Mark

• 5. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
                  TSGal

Mark Banin:

Thank you for the link to the video.

I will try to locate a Windows 8.1 machine, as I cannot replicate on Windows 7 nor Windows 8, as it launches the default email application (Outlook on both machines) when I right-click a highlighted email address.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Bug:Filemaker locks up when viewing PDF and right clicking with "select" tool
                    TSGal

Mark Banin:

I finally have access to a Windows 8.1 machine.  After installing FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 (and Bonjour), I created a database file that includes a three-panel slide control, and I placed a Container field in the second panel.  The Container field is formatted for Interactive content.

In Browse Mode, I added a record, go to the second slide control panel, and inserted a PDF file.  In the Container field, I performed a right-click to bring up the context menu where I selected Hand Tool.  I performed another right-click and selected Select Tool.  I then highlighted a web address in the PDF, and performed a right-click again and changed it to Hand Tool.  After going back and forth with this a dozen times (as well as highlighting an email address), I am still unable to replicate the issue.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 13?

Does this issue occur with a new database file?

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.