2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 7:37 AM by TSGal

Bug? - Can create and edit fine in FM but can only create in IWP

John_

Summary

Bug? - Can create and edit fine in FM but can only create in IWP

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.7 Detailed description of the issue: I had a problem with a program I’m working on which looked like a FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced bug. So I created a new program to see if I could duplicate the problem - sure enough I was able to duplicate the bug. Simply put - I am able to create a new record but not edit that record in IWP under these conditions. One table - 3 fields: Field 1: NameField 2: DescriptionField 3: Link - Auto entry with the number 1 Relationship is set in relationship tab on the link field creating a self-linking relationship The layout has name and description fields and a portal of the names and descriptions fields so that as you add a name & descriptions they are visible via the list of the portal You can add and edit great in FM. You can create or edit  in either the name or description fields or in the portal, either way works as expected. When you move to IWP you can add a record but you cannot edit that record, however you can edit the record in the portal. This would appear to be a bug. Probably the developers of FM did not anticipated a setup as described here. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Described above Expected Result:I expected that I would be able to create and edit the fields as described above in IWP just as I can create and edit those fields in FM Pro Advance v10.0v1 Actual Result:Unable to edit fields in IWP but can create new records on those fields and can edit them under the portal of the same field names  Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A  Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:N/A Any workarounds that you have found:None 

• 1. Re: Bug? - Can create and edit fine in FM but can only create in IWP
          TSGal

John...:

Thank you for your post.  This is easily reproducible on both Macintosh and Windows computers.

I have forwarded your information (as well as my findings) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When I receive more information, I will let you know.

As an additional note, if the portal is not present on the layout, you can edit the record in Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bug? - Can create and edit fine in FM but can only create in IWP
            TSGal

John...:

I received information back from Development.

This happens because fields on the main and related table point to the same fields on the same layout.  For the example provided, Instant Web Publishing allows to edit fields via the portal (and the changes are accepted).  If a user wants to change data via the main table, he/she needs to place portal control on the layout first, and then add the fields from the main table.  That will allow to change fields via the main table.  Chapter 4 of the Instant Web Publishing Guide, "Session: Tips for rendering layouts in Instant Web Publishing" states, "Avoid using more than one copy of the same field on a layout.  Otherwise, web users must change all copies of the field to save changes or to perform a find."

I have duplicated this result by adding the portal first before the main field.  This time, the changes to the portal are ignored, but the changes to the field are saved.

If you need clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.