Bugs when creating a Runtime

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 12, but the bugs 2 and 3 appeared in prior versions too

Operating system version

all

Description of the issue

Bug 1: In the Build Runtime dialog the input field for five character extensions, which are now possible, is too short. You only see 4 characters. The field has been changed in length on Windows, but not on Mac OS X.

Bug 2: The file FMStrs.dls in the Runtime App, folder "Ressources/English.lproj" and all other languages still gets a protected attribute. Without changing that manually to no protection, you can´t easily delete the app on Mac OS X.

Bug 3: Missing finish
      Why does a Runtime still incorporate all the graphical stuff of a full version. There is no layout mode in a runtime, there shouldn´t the graphics for it anymore.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Build a runtime with FMP12 Advanced and look inside the generated app.

Expected result

Bug 1: 5 Character length input field on Mac OS X.

Bug 2: Unprotected FMStr.dls file in language ressources

bug 3: only those graphics in the Runtime ressources, that make sense and are used.

Actual result

see above

Workaround

Standard Mac and Windows 7 machines

advanced_bugs.png

• 1. Re: Bugs when creating a Runtime
          TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

Thank you for your post.

The input extension is slightly smaller under German language due to the "Bindkey" translation to "Bindungsschüssel".  It will still accept five characters.  In English, it is slightly larger, but if you select an extension like "mmmmm", it will take up more room than "iiiii", and with the former, you will only see three characters.

The protected attribute for FMStrs.dls has been previously reported in a previous release, and our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  No other information is available at this time.

All graphics are included as the entire FileMaker engine is placed in the Runtime file.  At this time, the Layout graphic attributes are fully included, even though they may not be accessed in a Runtime solution.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bugs when creating a Runtime
            intex

TSgal:

1. It can´t be that difficult to make the input field long enough even for "WWWWW" ...

2. FMStrs.dls was already protected in version 11 and therefor was a pain in the ass. A major upgrade should eliminate such small bugs.

3. I don´t believe what you write. This is just no love, no finish for the product. Steve Jobs would kill somebody for that. It would be a job of half an hour or less to eliminate those unused graphics in the runtime. I don´t understand, that for years we have to do that for ourselves. So please, give your product more love, more finish, think it to the end.

• 3. Re: Bugs when creating a Runtime
              TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

I've sent the information for the Extension input field to Development and Testing for review.  I'll keep you posted.

The FMStrs.dls was previously forwarded.

I have sent the suggestion regarding Layout Mode graphics not being included in the Runtime solution to our Development and Product Management for consideration in a future release.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bugs when creating a Runtime
                intex

Fine, thanks.

• 5. Re: Bugs when creating a Runtime

TSGal:

I agree with Martin. I would appreciate if you have his entire message forwarded to yours Product Managers!

3. I don´t believe what you write. This is just no love, no finish for the product. Steve Jobs would kill somebody for that. It would be a job of half an hour or less to eliminate those unused graphics in the runtime. I don´t understand, that for years we have to do that for ourselves. So please, give your product more love, more finish, think it to the end.