Bugs with Database Design Report

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

Hello there,

There seem to be some bugs with FileMaker Pro Advanced's Database Design Report. The DDR is yielding incorrect information in the "Fields" section of the Report. Specifically, the incorrect information is showing up in the column entitled "In Scripts".

For example, take a look at the attached screenshot.

The field I've circled is called "Record Locking Field Check". The DDR says that this field is being used in 4 different scripts. However, this is incorrect information. The field is only being used in ONE (1) script, which is the script that I've pointed to with the arrow.

If I look at any of the other 3 scripts in the "Scripts" section of the DDR Report, the field is visibly NOT being used within those other 3 scripts. Furthermore, the DDR does NOT list that field in the "Fields used in this script" section which falls underneath each script.

So, in other words, the DDR is showing CORRECT/ACCURATE information in the "scripts" section of the DDR, but it is showing INCORRECT/INACCURATE information in the "fields" section of the DDR.

Thanks,
      Scott

Screen_Shot_2014-05-17_at_2_28_33_AM.png

• 1. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
          Fred(CH)

Hi Scott,

Just to help to narrow this down, could you tell us if is there an Import records script step on the incorrectly mentioned scripts ?

I remember i noticed the same problem, and found that this specific step consider all field from target table as used even they don't have the arrow for instance.

Fred

• 2. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
            scottworld

Wow, yes!! That is the bug!! You discovered the bug!

All of those scripts are using the "Import Records" script step, and they are importing from the same table as the field in question... but that field IS NOT being imported (I.e. there is NO ARROW for that field).

Oh, I hope they fix this soon... it's making it very difficult to use the DDR report on a very large database!

Thank you for figuring out what the bug is.

• 3. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
              TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

Was this file created with FileMaker Pro 13?  Or, was it created in a previous version?

Regardless, I have sent your posting to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                scottworld

Hi TSGal,

This file was originally created in FileMaker Pro 10, then went through the conversion to FileMaker Pro 12, and is now running in FileMaker Pro 13 (with version 13 selected in the file options as the minimum version allowed to open the file).

Would totally love for this bug to be fixed!! :)

Thanks,

Scott

• 5. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                  scottworld

By the way, for every single one of those Import script steps that are causing this problem to crop up, both of the following items are true:

- All of those Import script steps were created in either version FileMaker 10 or FileMaker 11.

- After the conversion to FileMaker 12, I re-opened every single one of those import script steps and temporarily toggled around a few of the import arrows to get each one of those import script steps to "re-save" in FileMaker 12, so that the former importing bugs (prior to version 11)  would no longer carry over into the future. I'm referring to the bug where stored "import field orders" would get totally screwed up when adding or deleting fields.

Thanks,

Scott

• 6. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                    TSGal

scotty321:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have included this information to the original report.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                      TSGal

scotty321:

The Tester assigned to this case is unable to replicate the issue.  He would like a copy/clone of your database file to better understand why it is failing on your file.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                        scottworld

Here's an interesting discovery:

In a brand new FileMaker 13 file, the REVERSE PROBLEM exists. In the DDR report, any fields which ARE ACTUALLY STORED in a stored import order DO NOT show up as being used in a particular script.

Yet in an older file like my file, ALL FIELDS (100% OF FIELDS) which are in the table that is used as the source of the stored import will show up in the DDR report as being used in a particular script, even if they have nothing to do with the stored import.

So the DDR Report behavior is different between old files & new files.

• 9. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                          TSGal

scotty321:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I have also reported your findings with a new file created in FileMaker Pro 13.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                            TSGal

scotty321:

Our Testers have been able to replicate the issue with your file, and based on your information, they can also replicate it from scratch.  In essence, the HTML DDR references a field to a wrong script if it has the steps Set Field or Import Records in which the source table and destination table have a field with the same name.

The information has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                              scottworld

Thanks!! Wow, great job to the testers for narrowing this bug down!! :) Were they also able to re-duplicate my findings in a brand new file where the DDR doesn't reference the fields used in the "Import Records" step at all? It seems like the DDR is constantly getting confused as to whether it should be reporting fields from the "Import Records" step or not... sometimes it erroneously reports a field, and sometimes it erroneously DOESN'T report a field.

• 12. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                                TSGal

scotty321:

Both symptoms were reported to the Tester.  However, it is unclear what the tester confirmed.  In your new file, did you also have identical field names in separate tables?  If so, then both issues would be related.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                                  scottworld

Thanks, TSGal. Yes, in my new file, I also had identical field names in separate tables. So they will likely see that issue as well. Thanks!

• 14. Re: Bugs with Database Design Report
                                    philmodjunk

And does this also happen with FileMaker Advanced 13.03 on Windows systems?

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

1 2 Previous Next