7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 3:51 PM by PatrickHorn

Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied

philmodjunk

Summary

Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

V11 file converted to V12

Operating system version

Windows XP, SP3

Description of the issue

When selecting either underline or italics text formats for a button from a file converted from FileMaker 11, the width of the button shrinks to the minimum needed to display the label text and the position of the button drops by 0.5 pixels.

This does not occur with buttons added in FileMaker 12 only those added before the file was converted.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open a file converted from FileMaker 11.
      Enter Layout Mode.
      Select a button created prior to the conversion to 12 by clicking it.
      Select either under line or italics text styles.

Expected result

Style of label text changes to selected style but button position and size remains unchanged.

Actual result

Style, size and position all change.

Workaround

Note the pixel dimensions and position of the button before attempting to change the style. Use the boxes on the position tab to restore those values after they change.

• 1. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
          rmanook

Hi PhilModJunk:

The converted buttons becoming smaller in FileMaker 12 is expected behavior.  Here is a knowledge base article that discusses some other differences that may appear post-conversion including the smaller buttons:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10261/kw/conversion

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
            revmk

Hi OP & Phil,

The article doesn't make it clear that this behaviour does not go away.  You can not use the buttons moving forward if you intend to change anything about their look, including alignment.  If you try to rename or adjust the text (size, look, font) it will shrink the button significantly.

Thanks

Rev

• 3. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
              PatrickHorn

Hello tsturtle!

Which point in the document do you mean? This one: "Buttons and other layout objects to which text has been added may appear smaller in the converted layout"?

I read the document before I used FM 12 and I didn't expected this behaviour!!! The button don't appear smaller (sounds like 1 or 2 px smaller or only a slightly optical issue) after conversion, but they shrink to the width of the text they contain if you change a text attribute (color, font, style) for the first time. If this is meant by the text in the document, you should change that text!

Example: If you have a large button with the text "GO" and you change to color of text, the button shrinks to the width of the letters "G" + "O" ... 

If you resize it after that, this does not happen anymore with that button.

This is very bad, as it makes working with converted files very hard. For me it's a very bad bug and I wanted to wait until this is fixed before I start converting FM11 databases. So it would be good to know if this is on the to do list of filemaker.

I found one possible workaround: select all buttons in a layout and apply left and right indent of 1px. Then change text attributes and it doesn't shrink. I tried it with 12 buttons and with 11 of them it worked. Don't know what was wrong with the 12th - it had exactly the same size and formatting as the others.

Best regards,

Patrick

• 4. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
                rmanook

Hi Patrick Horn (et al):

You're right, the changing of the text format that triggers the re-size is a symptom of the more general button resizing behavior.  Thank you and to everyone for the feedback on messaging in the conversion article.  I'll forward the comments along to the proper channels.

Thanks,
                tsturtle
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
                  philmodjunk

a) the article says nothing about the POSITION of the button changing. (Dropped 0.5 pixels in my case).

b) no text was ADDED, I changed the format. So like others, this is unclear in the knowledgebase article.

• 6. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
                    rmanook

PhilModJunk (et al):

I overlooked that we had an existing Knowledge Base article concerning the resizing of converted buttons/text format trigger outside of the general conversion checklist article:
                    http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10229/kw/conversion%20button

PhilModJunk, the positional change and text format trigger are symptoms of the same button shrinking issue.  I will forward this article and additional feedback for updated messaging for the general converstion article.

Thanks,
                    tsturtle
                    FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Buttons spontaneously change size and position when a text style is applied
                      PatrickHorn

Hello!

Last info to this topic / bug is from April 2012 – I just made a test in v12.0.3 and I am very sad: it is still not fixed! crying

And there is also no information in the upgrade informations of 12.0.3.

I will not migrate any FM 11 database until this is not fixed, I really don't want to rescale buttons (and other text objects?) again and again when working in the layout mode (and perhaps want to change the screendesign but keep the size of the buttons). Life is too short and far to precious to waste it with such stupid and annoying bugs and workarounds as proposed in the knowledge base article 10229.

Then I really prefer to stay with v11, no matter what I have paid for v12 (I have a VLA licence with 5 versions including FMS).

So why on earth has this not been fixed in version 12.0.3? Was it not important enough? And is there any information if this will be fixed in the next upgrade (12.0.4) or is it impossible to fix it? O is it so far at the end of the to-do list that it will never be fixed (or perhaps in FM13)? I know, these are questions nobody will give an answer to (this is not paradise), I only wanted to mention it.

I am really not happy with version 12 ... so far ...

Thanks,
                           Patrick Horn