2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 9:31 AM by TSGal

ç insertions in DBF inports

DEHiatt

Summary

ç insertions in DBF inports

Description of the issue

I have 10 years of records in Lotus Approach and have been converting to FM 10 Pro that I have on my MacBook now. Approach saves records in DBF format and creates not only DBF files but also DBT files for large text memo fields. The fields that are in DBF import correctly into FM 10, but in the DBT field imports,  there is a ç character inserted every 62 to 65 characters. Sometimes the ç takes the place of a space between words, and sometimes the ç is substituted for a letter that was in the text. A lesser problem is that the imported text is double-spaced instead of the single spaced text in the original. Another annoying error is that dashes (-) that I had at the beginning of new lines of text have disappeared in the imported text. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• 1. Re: ç insertions in DBF inports
          TSGal

DEHiatt:

Thank you for your post.

After performing a browser search for "DBF file format", I was able to locate the DBT file structure at:

http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/dbt.html#DBT_STRUCT

I do not see any reason why that character appears every 62 to 65 characters.  Since each block of memo text is 512 bytes, I cannot see a reason why there is a strange character every 62 to 65 characters.

Different lines of text are separated by carriage return and line feed which was common for MS-DOS.  In Windows and Mac OS, different lines of text are separated solely by a carriage return, so this is what may cause the double-spacing.

I don't see anything in the file structure to signify loss of a dash.

Does anyone else have experience with the DBF/DBT file structure and can shed some light?

Does Lotus Approach export to any other file format?

I would like to see your DBF and associated DBT file so I can send it to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: ç insertions in DBF inports
            TSGal

DEHiatt:

Thank you for sending in your files.

I opened the DBT with a text editing program, and I definitely see the character at the end of each line.  I am assuming you copied and pasted this information from Word, as this is the character used to wrap to the next line.

Try typing this information into Approach and export and then exporting.  Either that, or make sure the Gettysburg address is saved as Text, and you use a text editing program to copy the information into Approach.  Then again, size the field larger in Approach, and see if the character moves to a different location.

I can only get that character to display if I use import on a Mac, since that option is not available on Windows.  In fact, although the Macintosh format is displayed on a Mac, when I temporarily select "MS-DOS" format, I can no longer reselect "Macintosh" format.  That is because the DBF file format is a MS-DOS format.  However, even when MS-DOS format selected, the strange character is simply translated to another strange character.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.