3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 10:18 AM by LaRetta_1

Calcs within List() can improperly evaluate

LaRetta_1

Summary

Calcs within List() can improperly evaluate

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:Several versions.  This bug was first reported in May of 2007  Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2  Detail description of the issue:I came across this bug again and remembered it from this post:http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/187238  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Use the file attached in the referenced link  Expected Result:The Case() calculations within the List() function should evaluate as Null (default result) and instead it produces 0.  We thought the issue only happened when within Let() statements but it happens with List() regardless.  Actual Result:Produces 0 instead of null.  Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:None Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:It breaks the same if using If().  The Case() will only properly evaluate and produce null if GetAsBoolean() is used (see file calculation examples) or you must end each Case() statement with default result of “” and explicitly force the false result..  Any workarounds that you have found:None Thanks to Mr. Vodka for finding and reporting this bug the first time.  It is too bad that it must be repeated 2 1/2 years later.  Hopefully something will be done about it.

• 1. Re: Calcs within List() can improperly evaluate
          TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

This problem had not been previously reported to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments.  I have forwarded the file along with my notes to the appropriate departments for review and confirmation.

I tested this with Windows XP SP3, Mac OS X 10.5.8, and Mac OS X 10.6.2.  The easiest workaround for this particular example is to include a default option for the Case statement.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Calcs within List() can improperly evaluate
            mrvodka

That was the big problem with the "black hole" that used to be the bug report form. You never knew if a reported bug went anywhere.

One would wonder just how many other reports that other developers and myself reported that went into the twilight zone...  :robotsurprised:

• 3. Re: Calcs within List() can improperly evaluate
              LaRetta_1

It is sad that the old method existed for so long.  Thousands of people reported for years without one bit of feedback (and their issues were ignored) so many Developers gave up trying ... feeling FMI simply didn't care.

Surprisingly, I am hopeful (hanging on by my fingernails) that FMI will turn it around.  Time will tell.

Oh, and thank you for following up, TSGal.