calcuation problems

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

Mac

Description of the issue

I am not able to make a simple addition work in my layouts.  Also I am not able to double click anymore on the field or funtion to use. I am having to type all of this. what has happened. I have tried doing every different way i have found in looking for a solution. This is very annoying and time consuming. I have never before had a problem making filemaker work. Please help

Expected result

To fix the problem in my filemaker.

• 1. Re: calcuation problems
          philmodjunk

Is this problem specific to a specific file? If you create a brand new file do you get the same results?

When your "simple addition" fails to work, HOW does it fail? (that could be an important clue).

If you see this behavior in a simple new test file, I would suspect that there is some issue with your computer that could be hardware related or due to interference from another program. (as an example, I just fixed a computer here that wouldn't run FileMaker correctly by replacing the mouse. It turned out that each time the user clicked the left button, it sent two "clicks" to the computer instead of one which rendered FileMaker nearly unusable.)

• 2. Re: calcuation problems
            AnnitaLWard

I Purchased a new mouse and it fixed some problems. Now I find One (1) document says it was created by Filemaker 13. This is not possible since I had no intention of buying Filemaker 13 so I did not have a trial. My Value lists simply will not work. There is no message. It just will not work. I am also finding different places in my layout that will not calculate correctly. I realize I have to take my computer in to be checked. Bummer.

• 3. Re: calcuation problems
              TSGal

Anita L Ward:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 13, there is now an option under File Options "Minimum version allowed to open this file:".  If this is set to 13.0, then the file will not open under FileMaker Pro 12.0.  If you want the file to open under FileMaker Pro 12, then you need to change this.  How did you receive this file?  Assuming you want it to open under FileMaker Pro 12, send in your file, and I'll make the necessary change for you.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

I will also look at any file where the fields formatted to display a value do not work as expected.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: calcuation problems
                philmodjunk

A more detailed description of your issues would be helpful.

• 5. Re: calcuation problems
                  TSGal

Anita L Ward:

I received one of your files.  It is set to open with FileMaker Pro 12, so you should be able to open it.

I am able to access each field and make changes except for the Calculation fields, since those values are calculated.

The first field, "type" is a text field, and although it is formatted to be a drop-down list, there is no value list associated with it.  Therefore, go into Layout Mode from the View menu, click once on the "type field", pull down the View menu and select Inspector, and in the Inspector, click the Data tab, and below the Control style popup that is set for "Drop-down list", click the pop-up beneath it and set it for "type".  Save the layout and return to browse, and then you will see the three values (bracelet, necklace, earrings) in the drop-down list that you can choose from.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: calcuation problems
                    AnnitaLWard

Did I send you the "contacts" one? I just sent that one.

Now I feel dumb. about the "type".  This does not help with the calculations but I will try again.  Thank you very much for your help. 

Now we will see what happens for the next one that I sent yu today.

• 7. Re: calcuation problems
                      TSGal

Annita L Ward:

I have received your file.  Thank you.

I made the changes to the file so you can now open it in FileMaker Pro 12.  I have sent the file back to our Technical Support contact, so you should receive an email from him shortly.  If you don't receive the file within one hour, please let me know, and I'll make sure it gets sent to you immediately.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.