Calculation field freezes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Description of the issue

When I want to create a new field with type 'Calculation', after I click on Create, the window  freezes. I have to press ESC to exit the freeze but I am unable to use type Calculation.

I have the same problem with:
      Button Setup
      Go To Object
      Specify
      Go To Object Options
      I enter the Object Name and click Specify and filemaker pro freezes.

• 1. Re: Calculation field freezes
          philmodjunk

Since this isn't typical behavior for a FileMaker database, you'll need to do some additional testing to narrow this down to a possible cause. The following text refers to "crashes" rather than a "freeze" but they are still good tests to perform when you encounter a freeze and it nothing else, it can help the FileMaker techs to get a better picture of your problem...

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

The file could be damaged.

What is reported when you recover the file?

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Calculation field freezes
            JulienBlanc

Many thanks for your reply.

The freeze happens with any files.

I created a new file and the freeze happened again.

There is no report log as it only freezes until I press ESC.

I have reinstalled Filemaker Pro and the freeze is still happening.

• 3. Re: Calculation field freezes
              TSGal

Julien Blanc:

Thank you for your posts.

Do you have access to another computer for testing purposes?  If so, install FileMaker Pro on that machine.  Create a database file and see if the freeze occurs.  If so, you may have a bad download of FileMaker Pro.  Since FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 has just been released, you can download it directly from Knowledge Base Article #9910 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9910

Once the update is installed, try again on the second machine.  If it works, then update the original machine.

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.