Summary

Calculation fields with indexing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker Pro 11.0v2

Operating system version

Description of the issue

A calculation field that has indexing (any other choice besides "Do Not Store Calculation Results - Recalculate When Needed) does not update when the specifications change. The Calc is a Get (AccountName). When I log into to a different account, the field doesn't change. If I take off all indexing, I can't use it in a relationship. I need to use it in a relationship. Also, strangely, if I remove the calculation and leave it blank, the value that was previously there stays... even though there is no calculation anymore. Nothing is being referenced, yet there's a value, even after closing the file and reopening. I'm baffled at why.

• 1. Re: Calculation fields with indexing
          philmodjunk

I can see why this is frustrating, but it's also expected behavior. I can't think of any calculation that uses one of the Get functions that will update unless the field is also specified as unstored.

Unstored calculation fields can be used in some relationships, but not in others. Example:

ParentTable::cAccountName = ChildTable::AccountName

cAccountName can be defined as an unstored calcualtion: get ( accountName ). ChildTable::AccountName can be defined to auto-enter the current account name when the child record is created. If you place a portal to ChildTable on the ParentTable layout, it will display all ChildTable records created by the current user's account even though the calculation is unstored.