Summary

Calculation formula stored even after specifying to not use a calculation

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows / Mac

Description of the issue

When defining an auto enter calc or go to layout by calc, then later changing so its no longer a calculation, the original formula remains. 

If a field which this 'unused' calc relied on is deleted, you are warned that the field is still in use (its not) and the calculation will be modified to .

This of course, does not cause any issues, since its not in use.

The only one I can think of is when looking at a DDR you would see "Fields used by this script"

You could be somewhat confused, since the script looks and works as expected, with no easy way to see this

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a table called test
      Create a field called Name
      Create 2 layouts, layout1 & layout2

Create a new script
      Add a Go to layout - choosing layout name by calculation
      In the calc field, enter  test::Name
      Save the script.

Now edit the script and change the go to layout step, this time selecting a layout rather than using by calculation.

Finally, delete the Name field
      You will be warned it is in use, but when viewing the script, its nowhere to be seen. Since the steps are not 'by calculation'

If you do delete it, then produce a DDR Report it will show as

Expected result

The calculation which was entered should be cleared automatically  at some point (i.e when closing the file) since the chosen method is no longer in use, the formula is useless.

Actual result

The calculation originally entered will remain with the file, even thought it is no longer in use or required.

Whilst this can be handy during working on the file, when the file is closed this should be cleaned up.

Workaround

Clear the calculation before changing to a non-calculated behaviour.

• 1. Re: Calculation formula stored even after specifying to not use a calculation
          nickorr

As a follow up to SWS' post, although there are situations where retaining the calc itself might be useful, (ie you can go back to it later on), showing the dialog "The field is in use" is wrong and misleading.  The dialog should take into consideration that the step has been altered to not use that field any more.  If a novice user goes back to that script and finds 

"Go To Layout [original layout]"

as the only step in the script, trying to figure out where the field is being used is impossible.  It's no longer accurate to report on unused fields in that way.

So these processes should be changed to clear out calculations that aren't being used, or any process that checks the usage of fields should allow for it and report accurately.

Personally I can't see a value in retaining the calculation after the script is saved - while you're editing it possibly, but not once it's committed.

Nick

• 2. Re: Calculation formula stored even after specifying to not use a calculation
            TSGal

SWS and Nicholas Orr:

Thank you for your comments.

I have verified the problem exists with FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11.  I have forwarded your posts along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  Until this is changed, clearing the calculation formula before changing to a static option is definitely one option.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.