Summary

Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mavericks

Description of the issue

When you click on the calendar icon (not the field) of a field defined as calendar drop-down list with icon, the cursors moves to the field for input.  A second click is needed if you want the drop-down to open.

Expected result

When clicking on the calendar icon , the drop-down should open immediately.

Actual result

as stated above.....a second click is needed.

Workaround

don't select the show icon

• 1. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
          TSGal

Rick Robbins:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.2.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a Date field named "Start Date"

2. In Layout mode, I selected "Start Date", and in the Inspector, I selected the Data tab, and under the Field section, I changed the Control style from "Edit box" to "Drop-down calendar".  Below that, I entered a checkmark next to "Include icon to show and hide calendar".  I saved my changes.

3. In Browse mode, I clicked the calendar icon attached to "Start Date", and the drop-down calendar appears, with today's date highlighted.

4. If I click the icon again, the drop-down calendar disappears, and my cursor is flashing in "Start Date"

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
            RickRobbins

I found the difference.  I get the same result as you if you as long as you have no data formatting specified.  My date fields are not formatted as entered but as DD MMM YYYY.  Try this and you should be able to replicate the problem.

• 3. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
              TSGal

Rick Robbins:

I'm still unable to replicate the issue.  I have created custom formatting as DD MMM YYYY, and when I click once on the icon, the calendar appears.  See my screen shot below.

What theme are you using?  Can you verify the version of FileMaker Pro being used?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                philmodjunk

Apologies folks,

I encouraged Rick to make this post as I could remember getting this behavior. But after repeated tests with both FIleMaker 11 and 13, I cannot reproduce it either. If the field is formatted to make the calendar icon visible, clicking or tabbing into the field will not deploy the calendar, you have to click the actual calendar icon to deploy it, but this is presumably by design, not a bug. There's no "2 clicks" required as long as your first click is on the calendar icon.

• 5. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                  RickRobbins

Well I still have the problem... might have to do with my system settings as I am in Europe.  I know how difficult it is when an "error" can't be reproduced.  By the way, I am using version 13.o v3 and I didn't use the custom format but 25 Dec 2003.  I have prepared a copy of my database with only one layout to keep it small if you would like to see what is happening but I can't add a file to this post.  Let me know if you want it.

• 6. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                    TSGal

Rick Robbins:

Feel free to send in a copy/clone of your file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                      TSGal

Rick Robbins:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I can replicate the issue with your file.  Since all of the Date fields exhibit the issue on this layout, I removed one, dragged a new instance of that field onto the layout, and then it works properly.  It appears the original fields are damaged.  I have replaced each of the fields on the layout, and it now works as expected.  The file has been sent to our Technical Support contact, so you should receive an email shortly.  If you don't receive an email within 60 minutes, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent to you immediately.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                        RickRobbins

Thanks.  I received the file.  It seems like my database is somehow corrupted.  I deleted and re-added one of the date fields on the order layout (in my original file - not the one I sent you) and just started checking the behaviour.  After clicking multiple times between the new field and some of the older date fields filemaker quit unexpectedly on me.  This is getting me nervous.  Is there an easy way to "copy" my tables, and scripts to a new file?  If I copy my layouts, I assume I will just "copy" the problem with it.

• 9. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                          philmodjunk

You may want to do a recover on the file to see what is reported. Crashes can damage your file and damage to your file can cause crashes.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 10. Re: Calendar Drop-Down with icon - need to click icon twice
                            TSGal

Rick Robbins:

Duplicating a layout (from the Layouts menu) will also duplicate the corruption.  Therefore, create a new layout, and then try copying the objects from the original layout and then paste the objects onto the new layout.  This may or may not work.  At worst, replace the Date fields.

PhilModJunk's advice about Recover is correct (Thank you!).

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.