Camera Operation

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

10.X.X

Operating system version

OS8

Description of the issue

When using the camera to capture an image for storage in the database, the camera operates correctly when the iPad is held in the original starting orientation. However when rotating the iPad to any other position the camera does not track correctly making it very difficult to compose the image.

• 1. Re: Camera Operation
          Robert Rhines:

Thank you for the post.

This issue was previously reported (not through the Forums) and is a documented known issue with FileMaker Go 13.0v5 and iOS 8.

"iPad only
              1. When tapping into a Container field and choosing "Camera", rotating the iPad either left or right will rotate 180 degrees in the opposite direction."

This issue and other known issues are documented in the following knowledge base article here:

Additionally, I added your comments to the report made to Testing and Development.

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.
          • 2. Re: Camera Operation
            philmodjunk

TSFalcon,

can you explain #4 more clearly:

"Transferring a file targeting FileMaker Go to open the file will not open the file, but it will store the file to the iOS device."

Does that mean if I use Drop Box to copy a file onto my device and then use "open in" to open the file, it get's copied to the wrong place or is this something else?

And what does #2, iPad "The image for the map/location will not be rendered completely.", refer to? Mapping a location using a web viewer to Google Maps?

All in all, someone should have reveiwed these entries and done some rewrites so that they are easier to understand.

• 3. Re: Camera Operation
              philmodjunk

A series of entries in the Known Bugs List have been linked to this Issue Report. (I logged the issues identified in the KB article.)

Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 4. Re: Camera Operation
                PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

"Does that mean if I use Drop Box to copy a file onto my device and then use "open in" to open the file, it get's copied to the wrong place or is this something else?"

I tested with a file previously downloaded using the Mail.app and since removed from FileMaker Go and the file does not open with FileMaker Go nor does the file appear in the "Device" section of FileMaker Go. 

Drop Box behaved slightly different. If I downloaded the file first, then afterwards I was able to open with the file FileMaker Go 13.

For the time being, transfer files using to FileMaker Go 13 on iOS 8 with iTunes and the sync cable.

"And what does #2, iPad "The image for the map/location will not be rendered completely.", refer to? Mapping a location using a web viewer to Google Maps?"

I tested the Contacts starter solution with a single address and though the Web Viewer maps the location in FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced), the Web Viewer renders completely white with FileMaker Go 13.

TSFalcon
                FileMaker, Inc.
                • 5. Re: Camera Operation
                  philmodjunk

For the time being, transfer files using to FileMaker Go 13 on iOS 8 with iTunes and the sync cable.
                  Or stick with the older version of FMGO and iOS for a while and wait for a bug fix. I find this one pretty irritating, but if the file copies over from Drop Box without opening--as appears to be the case by both this entry and your test, it's small potatoes.
                  I tested the Contacts starter solution with a single address
                  Then what on earth does that entry refer to?
                  • 6. Re: Camera Operation
                    PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

"Then what on earth does that entry refer to?"

Sorry for not being more clear. The Contacts.fmp12 solution file that comes with FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced). Specifically, I tested the Web Viewer on the Contacts Detail | iPad layout.

I entered a known good address with FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced) and confirmed that the web viewer using the custom function Get Map ( ) showed a map pointing to the address.

Afterwards, I moved the file to an iPad 3 with iOS 8 and viewed the layout. The Web Viewer displayed a white box instead of a map. Let me know if any of that requires further clarification. 

TSFalcon
                    FileMaker, Inc.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Operation
                      philmodjunk

So does this issue only occur with specific model IPads and thus worked in your original tests, but not when you switched to an iPad 3?

I suggest bringing this attention to the documentation folks as these entries are cryptic to the point of being nearly useless to the average person that might be researching issues with iOS8.

• 8. Re: Camera Operation
                        TSGal

All:

The Knowledge Base Articles are composed by the Technical Support department.  After revisiting the original report for known issues with FileMaker Go 13.0v5 and iOS 8, the wording has been updated in Knowledge Base Article #13985 to make the issues a bit clearer. Feel free to continue commenting as we frequently update articles when new operating systems or new FileMaker software are released.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.