1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

Can anyone please tell me what FileMaker does when Layout-Set Tab Order is selected?

jacksrmd

Summary

Can anyone please tell me what FileMaker does when Layout-Set Tab Order is selected?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

my solution crashes randomly without rhyme or reason whenever it feels like after I select SET TAB ORDER.

Workaround

NONE.

• 1. Re: Can anyone please tell me what FileMaker does when Layout-Set Tab Order is selected?
          philmodjunk

set tab order adds a bunch of arrows to your layout with numbers in them to show you the tab order of fields and buttons on your layout, then opens a small dialog where you can specify different options for this tab order. You can also interact directly with the numbers inside the arrows to change the tab order.

Do you get this crash if you create a small brand new test file and select this menu option?

If it does not crash, it may be that you have a damaged file or maybe just a damaged layout. You might try running a recover on the file to see if the recovered copy has the same problem.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).