1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 9:17 AM by philmodjunk

can fields be set up so that they on far Left from top to bottom instead of across the top of the...

MarthaProctor

Summary

can fields be set up so that they on far Left from top to bottom instead of across the top of the document?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

XP Home

Description of the issue

I just purchased File Maker Pro 12 since Bento is being discontinued.  How can I set up a layout so that the 315 records I had in Bento are placed so that the fields are listed down the left side of the document & the records run across the page from left to right?  How do I set up a field where there is a yes no choice (posionous - yes /no etc) or other such fields with choices as one was able to do in Bento?  I use a PC and the Bento program was on my ipad 2.

• 1. Re: can fields be set up so that they on far Left from top to bottom instead of across the top of the...
          philmodjunk

Report An Issue is intended for Reporting Possible Software bugs. Questions on how to work with FileMaker Pro should be posted in the FM Pro Forum Section. (See tab at top of this screen.)

You'll find it a LOT less work if you set up layouts where each row is a record and each column is a field. The opposite is possible, but not without a lot of design work with your layout. And using columns for records limits you to just the number of records you can fit horizontally on your layout when you design the layout. With rows as records, you can simply add more records as needed without any additional design changes to your layout, you simply scroll the window vertically to see different records of those currently in your found set.

You also lose the ability to perform a find on the layout to pull up different sets of records, you have to create your own system for controlling what records appear in the portals instead.

To get records into columns requires creating a "cross tab" layout. This is almost always accomplished with portals arranged to produce the needed columns. Sometimes this is done with single row portals arranged in a "grid" pattern other times, you have multiple row portals with one portal for each column. You can control what records appear in each portal via the relationships, portal filters and the "initial row" option you can select in portal setup.

With regards to your "yes no" fields, you can define a value list with values of yes, no and then format a field with radio buttons, check boxes, a drop down list or a pop up menu that uses that value list to limit the users input to just the values you specify for that value list.