1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 2:55 PM by philmodjunk

Can I have FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Server 11 both install in one computer?

AreliLopez

Summary

Can I have FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Server 11 both install in one computer?

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I have been unable to share files when I have both the FileMaker Pro and the FileMaker Server install in the same computer. Every time I open a file with both of them install, I receive the following dialog box:

Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer.

When I uninstall the FileMaker  Server and I reopen a file, there's no error.

I am thinking I didn't install the FileMaker Server correctly because according to the guides, it is possible to have both FileMaker Pro and the FileMaker Server install..

Is there any setting I need to change when installing the server so I don't get this error ?

• 1. Re: Can I have FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Server 11 both install in one computer?
          philmodjunk

You can install both, but you have to use FileMaker on this machine carefully. It's useful to have it installed here as you can use it to make quick fixes and adjustments on your hosted files without changing to a different computer, but it can slow down performance. Just don't enable sharing on the FileMaker as you don't need this setting and it can conflict with server.

The other use for installing FileMaker Pro on the server is to use it with a robot file that performs script(s) that cannot be performed successfully on the server from a server schedule.