1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 6:55 AM by TSGal

Can I run FM Advanced on the same machine that is running FM Server?

ToddWilliams_1

Summary

Can I run FM Advanced on the same machine that is running FM Server?

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Our Server is in a different state. It is running FM Server 11. I connect to it using Wimdows Terminal Services (tunneling). I have FM Pro on my TS, but I REALLY need to run FM Advanced (Developer). Can this be done? I was told by our IT person that the server can't run FM Server and FM Advanced on the same machine.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can I run FM Advanced on the same machine that is running FM Server?
          TSGal

Todd Williams:

Thank you for your post.

Your IT person is correct.  FileMaker Server should be running by itself.

I do know some customers that have Filemaker Pro Advanced on the same server, but it is only used on a limited basis.  If they want to make changes to a file, they close the file in FileMaker Server, open the file with FileMaker Pro Advanced, make the changes, quit FileMaker Pro Advanced, and then return to FileMaker Server and open the file.  This is not recommended (as you should copy the closed file to another computer to make the changes), it does appear to work for these couple of customers.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.