AlanSands

Summary

Can not open my databases - request for password blocks me

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have owned Filemaker since it was FileMaker without the Pro... 1989.
      I owned FileMaker, FileMaker Pro, Filemaker Pro 2.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 - and they all converted to the new version without a problem.
      I upgraded my Mac to 10.6, and Filemaker is now,for the first time, asking me for a password. I have never had a password on anything related to FileMaker. I tried using Admin but that did not work.
      I have not got the foggiest notion what password might have been set, if one was ever set, since I don't put passwords on anything.

I only get the dialogue box when I try to open a database that has relationships. I have primary databases where I store my information (like an address book with all the info on the clients and resources) - then I have the Order Form Databases which draw the information from the these primary databases and all the relationships are set up in these Order Form Databases.  I only have a problem opening the Order Form Databases - not the primary information databases. I go back to Filemaker 6, and all of my files in these older databases open with no problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem

All I have to do is (1) open filemaker 11 (2) double click on any of the databases that have relationships (I call them my order form databases) and I get the dialogue box asking for the password.

Expected result

I want the database to simply open - no password.

Actual result

cant get past the password dialogue box

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker logo is on upper left corner of dialogue box
      Open " ASE" using: (ASE is my order form database name and stands for Alan Sands Entertainment)
      (radio button) Guest Account
      (Radio Button) Account Name and Password
      Account Name: Alan Sands (already appears - that's my name)
      Password: (Blank type-in field)
      (Check box) Remember this password in my keychain
      (Button) Change Password (Button) Cancel (Button) OK

Configuration information

I simply want to know how to delete the password so there is not a password.

Workaround

primary databases open fine in 11
      databases with relationships necessary to use them do not open
      Everything still functions as a FileMaker 6 program just fine

• 1. Re: Can not open my databases - request for password blocks me
          philmodjunk

Is this just after converting from FileMaker 6 to FileMaker 11?

If so, I think this sentence tells me the problem:

I only get the dialogue box when I try to open a database that has relationships.

It sounds like FileMaker is attempting to open other files with the same account name and password as your first file. In FileMaker 6, passwords were not case sensitive. In FileMaker 11, they are. Thus, one or more of your related files may have a matching password that is capitalized differently than your main file. This would not be a problem in FileMaker 6, but it would be a problem in later version.

I'd open your original files with FileMaker 6 and check to see if the matching passwords are capitalized in exactly the same way. If not, I'd fix this either in the original files and reconvert or I'd simply update the passwords carefully in the converted copies so that they once again match.

• 2. Re: Can not open my databases - request for password blocks me
            AlanSands

I guess you didn't read what I wrote.  so let's try again:

"I have never had a password on anything related to FileMaker. I tried using Admin but that did not work.
            I have not got the foggiest notion what password might have been set, if one was ever set, since I don't put passwords on anything."

This version of Filemaker 11 is brand new.

So, my question is now: How do I set, or reset, the F&*%ING password FMP11 is now requesting for the first time in the 21 year history I have been using Filemaker?

Thank you for your answer.

Alan

• 3. Re: Can not open my databases - request for password blocks me
              davidhead

Hi Alan

So you have just converted these files from v6 to v11? And this is now the problem? You say that you recently upgraded to OS X 10.6 but do not have any details of the FileMaker file conversion.

I do note that you say that you have never set any passwords on files in the past. However, all FileMaker files have passwords. When converting from v6 to v7+, the password becomes both the username and the password in the new file. So if a file previously opened with "Admin" as the password in v6, you can open in v7+ with "Admin" as both username and password (or with username blank and "Admin" as the password).

I would suggest that the related files have a different password to the master (ASE) file. As of FileMaker Pro 7, passwords are case sensitive.

Can you open the original files in v6? If so, you can check the exact password for each file there.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.