3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 1:13 PM by comment_1

Can using the Enter Key really corrupt your records?

dora_explorer

Summary

Can using the Enter Key really corrupt your records?

Description of the issue

Type:     FileMaker Pro 10.0v1Platform: Win XPExperience:  New to FM (Advanced skills in other db apps)I am currently assigned as a database admin in a FileMaker program that a developer created.  I discovered that a simple key stroke will erase data in hidden fields that the data entry people do not have access to.   Here is my scenario:  A data entry person will type their remarks in a Comments box.  If the Enter key is pressed while in that box, the cursor will remain in the box and the person can continue typing.  However, the text that was typed after pressing the enter key is actually overwriting crucial data in fields that only admins can see and use.   The developer stated this is a FM issue and there is no fix. “Tell them to not use the enter key” was his answer.   Honestly, I don’t that this quite accurate.  Can someone please validate my findings and/or the devlopers' statement?  

• 1. Re: Can using the Enter Key really corrupt your records?
          philmodjunk

I press "enter" all the time (both Qwerty and keypad enter buttons) on my xp and have never ever seen this happen.

Pressing the enter key can trigger the focus to move to the next field. This can be turned off by entering layout mode, select the field and then use Field/Control | Behavior to enable disable what combination of tab, return (qwerty enter in windows) or enter (keypad enter in windows) moves the cursor to the next field in the tab order.

It's also possible to set up script triggers that perform when a key is pressed or when you exit a field. A script trigger might explain the behavior you are seeing.

• 2. Re: Can using the Enter Key really corrupt your records?
            dora_explorer

Thank you Phil.  I knew it was a scipting or a tab stop issue.  But being that I'm a novice in this app, I need to get my info straight before going back to the developer and informing him of my suspicions that it's a programming issue. 

Any other input is welcomed.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Can using the Enter Key really corrupt your records?
              comment_1

dora_explorer wrote:

the text that was typed after pressing the enter key is actually overwriting crucial data in fields that only admins can see and use.

It's hard to form an opinion of what exactly is causing the issue, without knowing more. However, under no circumstances should user actions gain them access to restricted fields.

dora_explorer wrote:

“Tell them to not use the enter key” was his answer.

Tell them to not use this "developer" would be mine.