Can't cancel out of finds

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

This long-standing problem with FileMaker just keeps getting worse as time goes by, because databases keep getting bigger & bigger. Remotely open a file that is hosted on FileMaker Server 12, then perform a find on an unstored calculation field, then try to cancel out of the find. You could wait for 20 minutes FileMaker to actually CANCEL the find.  See the attached screenshot of the dialog box that you have to sit through… I have ALREADY pressed the cancel button. Would be great if FileMaker Inc. fixed this problem! Would save us a ton of time! Thank you! :)

Screen_Shot_2014-04-01_at_2.24.43_PM.png

• 1. Re: Can't cancel out of finds
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

Unstored calculations require more time to calculate as they cannot be indexed.  Stored calculations can be indexed, and the find is immediate.  With unstored calculations, each record has to be evaluated.  The resulting temporary file will also grow significantly.  On top of that, performing the Find on a hosted file will also decrease performance.

The Cancel will not interrupt the current process until it finishes.  If you press Cancel during the finding of unstored calculation retrieval, that process will finish before the Cancel is then recognized.

From your post, are you suggesting that during a Find, have FileMaker check after each record processed to see if Cancel has been pressed?  Can you provide more information what you would like to see?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't cancel out of finds
            scottworld

What I'm requesting is that the Cancel button should INTERRUPT the current process and prevent it from finishing. Often times, when we realize that we have started a find on an unstored calculation, we realize that we have made a mistake (or that we don't have the time to wait for the process to finish). So we try to cancel, but of course that doesn't do anything… since it tries to finish the current process before canceling the process. I just did that today… I accidentally did a search on an unstored calculation field, even though I meant to do a search on a different field. Tried to cancel, but had to wait for the process to finish before it would recognize that I even pressed the "cancel" button. I had to wait about 15 minutes. Ugh.

• 3. Re: Can't cancel out of finds
              TSGal

scotty321:

I have forwarded your suggestion to our Testing, Development, and Product Management departments for consideration.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Can't cancel out of finds
                scottworld

Thank you!!!