Can't Edit Layout

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 10.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

Modified one of the sample databases to fit my needs (eg. added new fields, buttons, etc).
      My problem is that i can no longer edit the Layout.
      The Edit Layout button on the far right side of the toolbar menu is grayed-out. View > Layout Mode is also grayed out.

I tried creating a new database and I AM able to Edit that layout. So, something is wrong with my "old" database. Just not sure what has happened.

Any assistance is welcomed.

• 1. Re: Can't Edit Layout
          RickWhitelaw

Have you edited Privilege Sets? Are you logged in as Admin?

RW

• 2. Re: Can't Edit Layout
            rasmac

RW,

how exactly is this done?

sorry, i kinda new to FMP.

i can't access the Manage Accounts & Privileges window (File > Manage is grayed out).

• 3. Re: Can't Edit Layout
              philmodjunk

That suggests that you do not have the file open with a full access password and this would explain why you can't edit the layouts. If you do not have it open with a full access password, you can't open Manage Security and you can't edit the layouts. If you aren't entering a password each time the file opens, you may have set the file to enter a password for you in File Options that limits your access choices. If that's a possibility, hold down the option key while opening the file to force it to ask you for a password. Of course, if you can't remember the password or Admin as the account name with no password entered doesn't open the file for you, you are probably stuck with a file you can't use.

It's a very good idea to make lots of back up copies while developing the file. If you have done so, you can go back to an earlier copy  and work with and at least you won't have to start all over.

Another thing that can grey out menu options is a paused script or one trapped in an infinite loop. If you set a script to run when the file opens and it is either paused or trapped in an infinite loop, you may find that certain file options are disabled until you interrupt the script. (Press down command and period keys to intrerrupt a script whether paused or trapped in a loop.)