Can't get info into a report from a related table

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v3

Operating system version

Mac 10.6

Description of the issue

I am sure that the answer to this one is incredibly simple but I am desperate to get this sorted and have tried everything I can think of, including various suggestions from this website and others. I have a very simple database (see attached) and I need to produce a report that gives me the motif information from one table and the site_pop (combined parish & site name) plus easting & northing so that I can generate a map showing the locations. The kf links in ARSP Pots have look-ups that go to the relevant entries in the other tables and also have a value list which link the table ID & the appropriate data in the other table. This was the only way I could find that would give a drop-down list from which I could select the right site or journal. Everything I have read says that a report should look across and pick up data from a linked table, but this refuses to do so. If I set the look-at table as SITES (for example), it shows the data from there, but not from ARSP POTS and vice-versa. I did get it to work last night (not sure how), but this morning when I opened the same file it was refusing to find the data again. The link table is my latest try to sort it. I don't think I need it, but it was worth a try.  PLEASE can someone tell me what I have done wrong and how to fix it. Very many thanks for any help in advance

ARSP_Pots.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
          philmodjunk

Try basing your report layout on the links table and then refer to related data in the other tables as needed.

• 2. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
            dcbriscoe

That gives me a a row of headings and no entries at all. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• 3. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
              dcbriscoe

Having thought about it over night, I tried again, having given Linker a look-up to Motifs in ARSP Pots and kf_sites_id to site_pop, but no luck -- I still got a row of headings and no data. I tried giving everything a value list as well -- still no joy. This is intensely frustrating!!! Does anyone else have any ideas please?

• 4. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
                philmodjunk

When you set up your layout, did you try adding fields to the layout from the related tables? That should work.

• 5. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
                  dcbriscoe

Dear Phil,

yes, I have. I also saw my supervisor (for PhD) yesterday and we tried setting up a report which included info from the Journals table -- again it just could not pick up anything from the related table. (The reason for trying the Journals link is that the drop-down in Pots to link to Journals (kf_journals_id) is directly to a field and not to a composite of two fields as site_pop is.) 

It just doesn't seem to be able to look from table to table. I have stripped out and redone the links several times in various permutations and it is not connecting any whichway. I have tried making two dummy fields in Pots and linkiing them to the relevant fields in Sites and that did not work either.

Do you think de-installing and re-installing might be the answer? I could also upgrade to 11, but I am not convinced that will solve it.

Many thanks for your help anyway

Yours ever

Diana (coming out of my lurk!)

• 6. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
                    philmodjunk

Sorry, but I lost this thread in the new forum or I would have responded sooner.

I don't think re-installing or upgrading will fix this problem as this is very unlikely to be a bug. Something is not right with your relationships and I can't really tell from here what the issue is.

Check out this tutorial on constructing a summary report. It demos drawing data from related records. See if you can get the demo to work and if you can see any differences between your file and how it is constructed:

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

• 7. Re: Can't get info into a report from a related table
                      dcbriscoe

Dear Phil,

The tutorial was interesting, but I think point 1 should read "start a new layout" for the benefit of the totally "duh" like me. I had quite a wrestle with it, but it all mostly worked eventually. My Total Quantity was reading 1, 3, 7, 8, 13 -- is that right?, because it was not what I was expecting it to do -- I was expecting a total quantity for each invoice, so 4, 4, 5.

However, it did give me some ideas about relationships and having exported everything to a test file, I finally discovered that if I put a "kp_pots_id" field in each table and then connected "site-pop" from ARSP_POTS to its buddy in SITES and did the same with "kf_Journal_id" to "journal_name" in JOURNALS, suddenly all the reports started importing the information I was looking for. I don't understand why this works because it isn't what I understood the manual (and help screens) told me should happen, but I am NOT looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Thank you very much for your support and input -- it has been a great help in battling through this one.

Yours ever

Diana