1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 12:07 PM by TSGal

Can't import Bento Data Source

joob

Summary

Can't import Bento Data Source

Description of the issue

I have Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 and Bento 2 which I recently updated to 2.04.  After selecting import Bento Data Source from the "File" menu from Filemaker, and then navigating to the portion of my Bento 2.04 data I wish to import, the field matching dialogue box now shows no data in any of the fields.  If I click import, I import empty records.  It works fine in Bento 2.0.  If I export a CSV from Bento 2.04 and import the CSV file into FMPro Adv 10, the data is there.  But the 2.04 update has broken the import Bento Data Source menu item. I recently updated to Mac OS 10.5.7 but it didn't work in 10.5.6 either.  I have tried this on two different systems on two different hard drives with the same result.  I have not upgraded from Bento 1.  I tried throwing away my Bento database and recreating it.  I have created new records and tried to import them using the import Bento Data Source command.  All without result.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even if it's just to tell me a fix is on the way.  Or if I could get a link to Bento 2.03, maybe 2.03 wouldn't have this problem.  But I can't locate any links to the previous update. Thank you.  

• 1. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
          TSGal

joob:

Thank you for your post.

When Bento exports or imports, it uses a Preference file located in:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

Remove this file, and a new copy will be created the next time you import/export.

If this doesn't work, then something inside the file is causing the information to not import, and I would like to see the file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the database file.  In the private message, I've also included a link to Bento 2.0v3, but that should not affect the importing of data into FileMaker Pro.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
            BarryIsakson

I have the exact same problem. An import of 182 records from from Bento data source Address Book yields blank records except for the Creation Date and Is Company fields.

FMPA 10.0v3

Bento 2.0v4 

Mac OS 10.5.7

Deleted the .plist file mentioned and reimported. A new one was NOT created.

Deleted all records in the Address Book except one. Bento now shows one record.

Reimported and got 182 blank records even though all records but one were deleted?

It appears that FileMaker is not importing from the same source the Address Book and Bento are using?

• 3. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
              TSGal

surf2live:

Thank you for your post.

How many files do you have in the following folder:

User -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento

If there is more than one file, please let me know the names of the other files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                BarryIsakson

Within the User -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento there is another folder called Barry's iPhone Backup containing a file called Backup-2009_05_12.bentodb.

Also in User -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento next to the folder is one file called bento.bentodb.

I removed the Barry's iPhone Backup folder and it had no effect on the import. It's the Address Book data that is the problem and I believe it is stored elsewhere. Do you know where? 

• 5. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                  TSGal

surf2live:

Thank you for the information.

First, put back the Backup folder.  That should not be removed.  The Backup folder is used to store backups of your Bento for iPhone data.

The reason I asked about other files is certain additional .bentodb files has caused some problems.  With that answered, let's focus elsewhere.

When FileMaker Pro attempts to import data from a bento.bentodb file, it looks in the Preferences folder for a plugins file.  If the file is corrupt, this could cause a crash or transfer of incorrect information.  If the file is not there, then a new one is created.  Therefore, let's try removing the plugins file.  The file is located at:

User -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

Remove this file and try again.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                    BarryIsakson

The backup folder is restored. It was only removed temporarily to see if it was causing a problem.

I checked the User -> Library -> Preferences folder and there is no com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist file. There is only a com.filemaker.bento.plist file.

The com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist file was removed previously based on comments earlier in the thread. Trying more imports has not recreated the file. Just tried another import of the Address Book and got 183 blank records which corresponds to the number of entries currently in my Address Book.

I have rebooted and relaunched FileMaker and Bento several times. Same result.

• 7. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                      TSGal

surf2live:

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm not sure if the problem lies within FileMaker Pro or Bento.  Therefore, I would like to see your Address Book Archive and bento.bentodb database file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send these files so I can test it out.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                        Yizwitz
                           I have the exact same versions of Bento, Filemaker Pro 10 and Mac OS as surf2live and am encountering the identical problem, including the lack of the plugins file in my preferences.  If you could advise me of the solution you found to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
                        • 9. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                          TSGal

Yizwitz:

Thank you for your post.

"surf2live" sent me the bento.bentodb database file along with an Address Book archive, so I could try and duplicate the problem.  After installing everything, I was able to import the data directly into a FileMaker database file without any errors.  I sent the FileMaker database file I created with the Bento data back to "surf2live" and asked him to reinstall Bento and FileMaker Pro.  "surf2live" said he would do this when he returned from vacation and let me know the outcome.

How many files do you have in the following folder:

User -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento

If there is more than one file, please let me know the names of the files other than bento.bentodb.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                            monte22

i have the same issue;have tried the import to fm10 from bento 2 on my desk and then laptop ...BOTH native not networked

ihave been with fm since inception so familiarity is ok 

the reason for upgrading to fm10 is syncing via iphone/bento/mobileme then importing into fm to run proper work stuff

this is a total mess....

• 11. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                              TSGal

monte22:

Thank you for your post.

I would also like to see your bento.bentodb database file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                                BarryIsakson
                                   I have re-installed FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1. And just to check versions, I installed Bento 2.0v3. I was able to import all my contacts from the Address Book into a new Filemaker file using Bento 2.0v3. I then installed Bento 2.0v4 and the same problem reoccurs. I reinstalled Bento 2.0v3 and the import works as expected. I re-installed Bento 2.0v4 and the problem reoccurs. When importing the data in 2.0v4, each of the records shows empty fields. It appears the problem is specific to version 2.0v4. Bento 20.v3 works fine.
                                • 13. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                                  TSGal

monte22:

I received your file.

This is what I did.....

1. I cleared out my Bento preference files.

2. I replaced my existing bento.bentodb database file with your bento.bentodb database file.

3. I launched Bento 2.0v4 making sure there were no problems with the file.

4. I quit Bento 2.0v4 and launched FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.

5. I opened a test database file (Test.fp7), pulled down the File menu and selected "Import Records -> Bento Data Source..."

6. My Address Book and iCal data is different from you, but I imported "giclee fineart prints" Library into a new table.

7. I repeated the import for the other two Libraries.  No problem.

Which version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  If you haven't updated to 10.0v3, do so now.

Are you only having problems with the Address Book and/or iCal Libraries?

If you can't get any Library to import, then be sure to remove the two preference files prior to launching Bento 2.0v4.  They are located in the following folders:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

Perform steps 3-7 again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Can't import Bento Data Source
                                    TSGal

surf2live:

Since you have Bento 2.0v3 and Bento 2.0v4, and this only works with 2.0v3, there is something in your preference file that is stopping Bento 2.0v4 database file from working.  Therefore, try removing the preference files, launch Bento 2.0v4 (to create the new preference file) and then try the import again.

See the post above to remove the preference files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next