konnektor

Summary

can't import bento database into FP12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

when i try to import my bento database (version 4) into FP12, i get this message:

"You must have Bento 2 (or a later supported version) installed on this computer."

i do... any ideas why this is happening?

Steps to reproduce the problem

try to open my bento data within FP12

Expected result

it imports the data

Actual result

just the error message, and no further progress possible

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

You must have Bento 2 (or a later supported version) installed on this computer.

Configuration information

i use dropbox, and my bento library is in my dropbox folder, as are my bento data backups. possible source of issue?

Workaround

no

• 1. Re: can't import bento database into FP12

konnektor:

Thank you for the post.

I found this documented in the help file under Importing Bento data (Mac OS):

"Before you begin importing Bento data, be sure that the bento.bentodb file is in its default location in your home folder: Library/Application Support/Bento."

If the bento.bentodb file is located in another location other than the default, try moving the file back to the default location and importing again.

FileMaker has also released a Migration Tool from Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro 12. It converts your existing Bento 4 for Mac data (including the contents of media fields and form designs) into a FileMaker Pro 12 database. There are some limitations so please review the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool PDF prior to migrating. More information can be found here:

Is FileMaker Pro right for you?

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: can't import bento database into FP12
            MeeraSubramanian

I'm having the same problem, tho I'm migrating directly from Bento 4.1.2 on my MacBook Pro to FileMaker Pro 12. I get the same warning (pop-up box appears three times, each time i click ok) saying that "The document 'XX' could not be opened, FileMaker Pro cannot open files in the 'Filemaker Document' format", even after the Migration Tool tells me it was successful.  Yet when I open the FP file indeed some of the database has transferred over, but only a small fraction of it. My Bento database is in its default location.

• 3. Re: can't import bento database into FP12
              TSGal

Meera Subramanian:

Thank you for your post.

Are you migrating all of the Libraries from Bento?  Only a few?  Does the Migration complete successfully?  Assuming the migration is successful and you still cannot open the resulting .fmp12 file, I'd like to see your bento.bentodb file to determine why it is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send your bento.bentodb file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.