can't import photos and have photo copied to the record

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

snow leopard current 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I used to be able to do an import>folder and bring the individual photos in the folder into each record. now, regardless of whether I check the box for import only a reference or not, that is what I get--I cannot embed the photos into the record.

for backup and file maintenance reasons, this is a real problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem

do file>import, uncheck "import only a reference to each picture file" and only references are stored in the data base records.

This is happening in the same database which already has a thousand or more records with imported photos embedded in the records.

Expected result

photos should be embedded in each record, and there should be no need for reference to an external folder of photos

Actual result

file not found on each record display where the photo should appear

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

the file cannot be found: filename.pdf

Workaround

make sure I don't move the folder containing the photos that were imported

• 1. Re: can't import photos and have photo copied to the record
          user15307

carolg,

It would be helpful to have a few more details on this issue.  What has changed since you were able to successfully import photos without references? Are the files all of the same type?

On OS X 10.6.8, I created a new file, and imported pictures from a folder on the desktop.  They imported without error.  I closed the File and moved the pictures folder.  When the file was reopened, the PDF file type wasn't in the container field. JPEGs, TIFFs and PNG files still were saved in the container field.  The thumbnails remained in the proper fields regardless of the location of the original files.

Any additional information you can provide will be helpful in defining this issue.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: can't import photos and have photo copied to the record
            carolg_1

As far as I can recollect, nothing has changed. I don't recall when I upgraded to the latest level of Filemaker Pro--that is the only possible change I can think of.

I would have upgraded fairly soon after it became available. The original database was created around June-July, and the latest records were probably added in September-October.

The files I am trying to import are from exactly the same source as the records that are already in the data base. They are all single page pdfs--Both the original images in the database as well as the ones I added a while ago that are now missing.

Interesting that all file types seemed to work OK except pdfs!

Thank you for your help!!