Summary

Can't scan 2- or 4-digit Interleaved 2 of 5

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7.0.4 (11B554a)

Description of the issue

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the "ITF-14" barcode setting for the Insert from Device script step will scan not only proper ITF-14 codes, but interleaved 2 of 5 codes of seemingly arbitrary length. However, scanning does not work for ITF symbols encoding 2 or 4 digits.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Generate an ITF barcode encoding 2 or 4 digits. Attempt to scan the barcode using the Insert from Device script step, either using an iOS device built-in camera, or scanning directly from a container field.

Expected result

FileMaker Go should scan the barcode and insert the encoded digits in the target field.

Actual result

No barcode is scanned. The Insert from Device script step results in error 418 ("Internal failure in INSERT operation into a field").

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

If error capture is off when the Insert from Device script step is run, a dialog titled "Error" opens with the message "Insert from Device failed." and one button option labeled "OK".

Configuration information

In problem barcodes I have tested, I've generated the same barcode both within FileMaker and using the CNS Barcode iOS app.The bar patterns in the images created by each method are identical, so I'm confident that the barcodes themselves are not the problem. I made a file demonstrating the bug with several sample barcodes (and several 6-digit barcodes that scan successfully): https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxe93ejmp0fr2da/BugSampleITF.fmp12.zip

• 1. Re: Can't scan 2- or 4-digit Interleaved 2 of 5
          TSGal

Jeremy Bante:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent your request to have Interleaved Two of Five (ITF) barcode encoding 2 or 4 digits to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I'll let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't scan 2- or 4-digit Interleaved 2 of 5
            TSGal

Jeremy Bante:

Our Testing department has informed me that ITF-14 two or four digits is not supported.  This has been entered as an enhancement.

I recommend that you also enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entires into this web form populate a database that is hosted by Development and Product Management.  All entries are reviewed and discussed for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.