3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 9:50 AM by TSGal

can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer

billworld

Summary

can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer

Description of the issue

You can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer. Used to not be able to do this for HTML in WV (prior to v10), now need to be able to do this with PDF text; in short, the Script Step "Copy" should operate on anything that can be copies to the clipboard; if the "Copy" menu item is actionable, this script step should work. The fact that you can copy the text manually but not via the Copy script step indicates this is a bug.

• 1. Re: can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer
          TSGal

billworld:

Thank you for your post.

I've tried this under FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10 with the same results.  When I highlight text in the web viewer, the Copy command under the Edit menu is grayed out.  When I execute a script to copy the contents of a highlighted section in the Web Viewer, I copy the URL of the Web Viewer.

If you had a way to do this in FileMaker Pro 9, let me know the script steps, and I'll duplicate it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer
            billworld

1. In FMPA v10 on latest Mac OS

2. Load PDF in Web Viewer set to "Allow interaction with Web Viewer"

3. Select some text in the PDF in Web Viewer

4. Without de-selecting the text, go to the Edit... menu and you'll see Copy is available (e.g. it is NOT grayed out)

5. Select Copy

6. Go to a field in your database named "text"

7. Manually paste the text. You will see the text pasted into the field properly.

8. Now try to accomplish all of this running a script using the Copy[] script step. It doesn't work on PDFs. It works (since v10) on .HTML docs

9. This did NOT work in v9 as it was a bug I reported which FMI kindly fixed. The same needs to now be applied to PDFs. 

• 3. Re: can't script the copying of text from PDF in Web Viewer
              TSGal

billworld:

Got it!  I'm not sure how I missed this the first time... <head hanging in shame>

I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I'll post here when I hear more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.