Summary

Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

The layering of layout objects has really gotten messed up in FM12. In the past, you could click on a piece of an object (such as the edge of a box), and that object would instantly be selected. But in FM 12, if ANY objects are layered on top of that object, FileMaker no longer lets you click on the object in the background... EVEN IF IT IS PERFECTLY VISIBLE!

For example, take a look at the attached screenshot. In FM 11, all edges of both boxes were completely selectable!! But in FM 12, the edges that I have highlighted in RED are NOT SELECTABLE at all… because they just happen to be "underneath" the other box. If you click on those red edges, FM 12 selects the OTHER BOX instead.

So suddenly, in FM 12, we have to spend all of our time reshuffling & reshuffling & reshuffling layout objects to bring them to the front, just to click on an object.

This is truly not acceptable to any serious developer, and needs to be fixed immediately.

Screen_shot_2012-05-05_at_7.07.19_PM.png

• 1. Re: Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the behavioral differences between FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12.  I have forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will contact you when I receive feedback.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11
            TSGal

scotty321:

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this difference, as it is currently a design change.  Clicking anywhere inside an object's border will select it; even if the fill is set to transparent.  It is being reviewed.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11
              scottworld

Can you please send them more information on this behavior? I don't think that they understand that this change makes illogical sense and makes our lives LITERALLY A MILLIION TIMES MORE COMPLICATED than it was before. It took me over 3 minutes the other day to simply SELECT AN OBJECT in FileMaker 12, something that would have taken .0001 seconds before. I had to continually arrange objects through layers, until FileMaker decided that my desired object was on top of all the other objects. I couldn't simply "send it to front", because I couldn't select it to begin with!! If an object is transparent, you should be able to click through it, JUST LIKE IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN FOR 25 YEARS. I just don't understand why the engineers at FileMaker are ACTIVELY TRYING to make the lives of professional FileMaker developers a living nightmare. If they're trying to get long-time developers like myself to LEAVE the platform altogether, then they are doing a great job of pushing us in that direction. I have already sent out a newsletter to all 200 of my clients telilng them to NOT upgrade to FileMaker 12, and I know of other developers who have done the exact same. FileMaker 12 is, quite honestly, the worst software product to come out of FileMaker Inc., and every developer that I have spoken to agrees with me.

• 4. Re: Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11
                rp

Hear, hear!!!

I am having serious issues also. One of my projects has several buttons on top of a graphic. Even with the graphic sent to the back, I can only select approx 1/3 of the buttons. And the marquee selection won't work at all.

My workaround is that I have to "cut" the background image, select the desired button, make my changes, and then re-paste the background image. Needless to say, this is RIDICULOUS, and seriously needs to be fixed. I can't see how this is a "design change".

In general, I have found FMP12 to be wonky. Honestly, if I weren't being forced to use it in order to support FMGo12, I would go back to FMP11.

Rudy

• 5. Re: Can't select objects in FM12 that were selectable in FM11
                  philmodjunk

And the marquee selection won't work at all.

If you find the new behavior of the selection box (marquee) not what you want, you can hold down the control key to get a selection box that works like it does in FileMaker 11.