Summary

Can't type first letter of field in Import Window

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

windows 8.1

Description of the issue

There is an issue in the import screen in filemaker 14 on windows where one can't type the first letter of a field and the field is chosen based on the first letter typed into the keyboard.

For example, if I press "i" it should select field "id" than if I click "i" again it should just to the next field starting with the letter "i"

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click file, import records, than file
      When the screen pops up to match fields.

Try clicking the first letter of the field, nothing happens. You have to scroll down the list to get to the field you want to.

Expected result

click the first letter of a field name and it should jump to the different field names starting with that letter

Actual result

Nothing happens

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

You have to scroll down until you find the field you are looking for.

• 1. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
          TSGal

johndoe:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  The issue does not occur with Mac OS X nor with previous versions of FileMaker Pro.

In previous versions of FileMaker Pro, when you typed a letter in the Import Field Mapping window, FileMaker Pro would highlight the first entry in the Source Target Fields column that begins with that letter.  In FileMaker Pro 14, the first entry in the Target Source Fields column that begins with that letter is highlighted.  Second, in previous versions of FileMaker Pro, typing the same letter again would highlight the second entry in the Source Target Fields column that begins with that letter.  In FileMaker Pro 14, the first entry in the Target Source Fields column remains selected.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
            philmodjunk

It's already maddeningly tedious to map fields between two different tables when the field names don't match and there are a lot of fields in the tables. This just makes the task a LOT more tedious. crying

I just checked FM 13 in Windows 7. Typing a first letter highlights the TARGET field and not the source field. This is the correct field to highlight as it's the target field that you can drag to align to a specific source field. In v14, it's the SOURCE field that highlights, but unlike what TSGAL reports, repeated keystrokes DO highlight the next field in the source table thought it takes an extra try at times and any field highlighted by clicking stays highlighted even as the keystroke highlighted a different field in the list which is pretty odd. But this is the wrong side of the list as this behavior is pretty useless as a way to align fields for mapping.

How the window scrolls when you drag a field is pretty messed up also. It's too slow and jerky when I drag up (and you have to put the mouse cursor over just the right section of the dialog before it will scroll past the top field visible.) Dragging down is too fast and you zip right by source fields before you can tell if it's the one you want.

• 3. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Nice catch.  My mistake.  I had the columns mixed up.  However, I did report it correctly to Development and Testing.

I did modify my previous posting with the correct column names.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                jakes

Thanks to Both of you. I agree with Phil, it is highly tedious trying to map fields and without this working, it's abit of a nightmare.

I have found another issue on the same point, if I open a set field script step to select a field, if I have a long list of fields. Typing the first letter will get me to the first couple of fields and than it jumps to the top of the window so I have to start again, it won't keep highlighting the next field until I get to the bottom of the list.

Than I have to scroll down manually look for a field, if I get halfway down the list and try type the first letter instead of continuing from where I am, it jumps to the top of the list again so I can't select a field this way in a set field pop up box as well.

• 5. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                  philmodjunk

FileMaker really should update all of these "selection" dialogs to work the same and to include the type of "search box" used to find scripts, layouts and fields (in the field picker). That saves time selecting things and makes the interface more consistent at the same time.

• 6. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                    TSGal

johndoe:

All Specify Field dialog boxes appear to work the same way in FileMaker Pro 14 on Windows.  This issue does not occur on Mac OS X.

I have submitted this as a separate issue, even though it is probably related.  I'll let Testing and Development determine the relationship between the similar issues.  Again, I'll let you know when I receive any feedback.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                      jakes

Another place this happens is in: "Manage Security for Account" 

Under File ---> Manage ---> Security

• 9. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                        philmodjunk

Hey TSGal!

Since your are currrently having to enter feature requests on our behalf, perhaps you could enter this as a feature request?

FileMaker really should update all of these "selection" dialogs to work the same and to include the type of "search box" used to find scripts, layouts and fields (in the field picker). That saves time selecting things and makes the interface more consistent at the same time.

• 10. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

The Feature Request has been sent to Development and Product Management for review.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Can't type first letter of field in Import Window
                            philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.