Can't type to select item in pop-up menu

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 v4

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

When I have a popup menu on a layout that has a value list, users on Windows aren't able to click into the menu and type the first letter to go to that section of the list. I can't even scroll the menu.

Steps to reproduce the problem

• Create a value list
      • Put a layout on the field that calls the list as a popup menu
      • Click into the field
      • Try to type one of the items in the list
      • Try to scroll the list.

Expected result

You should be navigated in the list to the section you are typing. At the very least you should be able to scroll the list.

Actual result

Nothing

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

This works on the Mac, but not on Windows.

Workaround

Get a Mac.

• 1. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
          philmodjunk

This works on the Mac, but not on Windows.

Exactly and this has been previously and often reported. I can't find an entry in the Known Bugs List so maybe this one predates the creation of that resource.

• 2. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
            Fred(CH)

Hi dears,

I would like to add a little bit of spice on it : 

On a Mac, by default (If you didn't modify your System Preferences), you must generally use the mouse in order to open a pop-menu.

Anyways, with FileMaker Pro, when you enter in a field controlled by a pop-menu the menu never opens, even if you press the [ESC] key and regardless your System Preferences.

Moreover, as long the menu is closed, If you just try to type a value, it doesn't change anything. Only if you take the mouse to open the menu, then you can leave the mouse and type on the keyboard.

Whats a deal, YEAAHH.clin d'oeil

On a PC, it is the exact contrary : You can perfectly open the pop-menu pressing [ESC] Key on FileMaker Pro, but then, you cannot type a value.

Did you mean inconsistent ? qui pleure

Bye, Fred

• 3. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
              JaredSorge

Sadly, I can confirm that this is still an issue on FileMaker 13 for Windows. Boo.

• 4. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                LaRetta_1

It has taken several hours to find anything about this issue.  Now that I am on Mac, I did not know it was still broken on Windows until one of my clients contacted me.

Windows Users NEED to be able to type a letter and have this jump to that section.  It works fine on Maverick but on Windows 7 and 13, it does not jump.

I have not checked with my client to see if the latest updaters have fixed the problem but I would bet it does not.

Please FileMaker ... it is simply ridiculous that this does not work.

• 5. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                  LaRetta_1

Can a FileMaker employee please at least ACKNOWLEDGE that they know about this issue?

If there is no plan to fix it ... SAY SO.  Post it in Knowledge Base so we all know to go to all our Clients and all the pop-ups in all their files.

Post that it does not jump in FM Help.

Come on ... this has gone on long enough.

• 6. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                    TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your posts.

We are aware of this limitation with Windows.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                      LaRetta_1

I appreciate the response but it didn't tell us anything.  So is it an acknowledged bug which will be fixed?  Or is it something we will have to design around because FMI has no plans to fix it?

I do not think my questions are unexpected or out of line.  I would expect SOME answer one way or the other; we all do.  

• 8. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                        TSGal

LaRetta:

Development and Testing are aware of this limitation.  FileMaker does not discuss future products.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                          LaRetta_1

Next time don't even bother to respond.  Your response is completely worthless.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/145986#145986

• 10. Re: Can't type to select item in pop-up menu
                            philmodjunk

The term "bug" is and always will be a subjective term and this will not be the last time people disagree on what to call a "bug" and what to call a "limitation", but LaRetta makes a good point that this difference in behavior should be documented in the Known Bugs LIst.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

I will also point out that cross platform differences in interface behavior are not a good thing and FileMaker should make every effort to remove or minimize such differences where-ever possible.