Can't update FM 11 to 11 V4 on Mac OS X 10.5 Server

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v2

Operating system version

10.5 Server

Description of the issue

Trying to update my copy of FM 11 v2 to v4 using the update from your web site. It almost completes then bombs on "post flight script" (or something like that) and says can't find a copy of FileMaker to update. Contact FileMaker.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click on updater and follow thru the steps.

Expected result

Expected it to complete properly and update my copy of FM to v4

Actual result

Goes thru all steps and looks like it's about to finish then it stops and shows error - A valid copy of FileMaker 11 could not be found. We use G5 PowerMac towers in our office and haven't had this a problems tim any other computer in house.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

A valid copy of FileMaker 11 could not be found.

Configuration information

G5 Xserve 2 x 2Ghz  - 2 GB ram running 10.5.8 Server

Workaround

none - I have deleted and reinstalled FM 11 three times.

Screen_Shot_2011-08-22_at_1.45.09_PM.png

• 1. Re: Can't update FM 11 to 11 V4 on Mac OS X 10.5 Server
          TSGal

Admin Dispute:

Thank you for your post.

When you installed FileMaker Pro 11.0v2, it should have been written to:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> FileMaker Pro 11

Although no previous problem was reported with upgrading from FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 to 11.0v4, let's try upgrading to 11.0v3 first.  You can download the upgrade from Knowledge Base Article #7886 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7886

Once you have downloaded, see if you can install the update.  If this is successful, then try upgrading to FileMaker Pro 11.0v4.

I know some time has passed, so if you have since resolved this installation issue, then please post so others, who may have a similar problem, can benefit.

If you are still having difficulty, please contact our Technical Support department directly, as they will help with all installation issues.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't update FM 11 to 11 V4 on Mac OS X 10.5 Server
            AndrewsMurphy

This may be old news, but it was new to me. 

In update from 10.7 to 10.8, I needed to reinstall FMP 11 and perform the updates to 11v4.  The initial install went fine.  When I attempted to update to 11v4 using the updater, I received the message "A valid copy of Filemaker 11 could not be found". I repeated the installation of FMP 11.  It did not cure my problem. 

I checked to see if I could find the copy using the search tool and there was no reference to the Filemaker Application.  In a few minutes, however, the application was found and visible in the search results. The update went swimingly when I tried it again.  

My issue occurred after completing a new installation of the operating system.  My recommendation when you receive the message "A valid copy of Filemaker 11 could not be found", during an update is to attempt to find Filemaker using the search tool.  Wait until it is found and then complete the update.