7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 10:28 AM by LaRetta_1

Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings

philmodjunk

Summary

Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings

Description of the issue

System Info: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, SP 2. Filemaker Pro 10 and Filemaker Pro Server are successfully installed on this machine.  I started to run the updater to update FMP 10 v1 to FMP 10 v2 but had to cancel the install when it asked for the Install CD and I didn't have it at hand to use. Afterwards: If I launched the Filemaker Pro application, I was able to find and open a file successfully. If I double-clicked a database file, I got a dialog box that was filled with undecipherable text and had a progress bar. It appears to be an Installer dialog, but I see boxes where I should see text. If I wait, I get a dialog box that I can read that says:"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available." When I click cancel I get another unreadable dialog with "1706." and "10.  " as the only characters that are recognizable except for the OK on the OK button. Inserting the Install CD and running the v2 updater corrected this problem.

• 1. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

I asked several people about this, and the reaction was the same....  "Don't do that."

From the additional information I could gather, the registry is modified during the update, and depending where the updater was canceled, this COULD be why this is occurring.  I know that you found a solution, but I'm still unsure what caused the problem.  If you want me to research this further, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
            philmodjunk

I asked several people about this, and the reaction was the same....  "Don't do that."

Don't do what: Cancel the update or re-run the updater?

I assume my only other option was to uninstall/reinstall. All moot now.

In your shoes, I wouldn't pursue this unless others are reporting the same trouble.

• 3. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
              mrvodka

Why dont they change the updater to just work like all the other updaters... Telling people to not cancel it when installing isnt really right considering that they have to go look for the orig install CD/download to install it.

• 4. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
                philmodjunk

mr_vodka wrote:

Telling people to not cancel it when installing isnt really right considering that they have to go look for the orig install CD/download to install it.

Which was exactly my problem. When I discovered that I needed the CD, it was locked up in my boss's office and he was gone for the day.:smileymad:

• 5. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Sorry for the late reply, and sorry for my flip response.  I was only trying to convey what others had said...  That is, don't interrupt/cancel the updater while it is running.

I know you also reported this on the "Using FileMaker Pro" board:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=13769

...and I did send the information to our Testing department.  The installer/updater is developed by a third-party, and canceling the updater will leave the the computer in a different state.  The way to return to "original values" is to repair the installation via the Add/Remove programs.  (Please don't shoot the messenger).

I have since made a suggestion to check for the program first before making any changes to the computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
                    mrvodka

TSGal wrote:

...and I did send the information to our Testing department.  The installer/updater is developed by a third-party, and canceling the updater will leave the the computer in a different state.  The way to return to "original values" is to repair the installation via the Add/Remove programs.  (Please don't shoot the messenger).

I have since made a suggestion to check for the program first before making any changes to the computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

Hi TSGal.

No we are not here to shoot the messenger, we know that are you stuck in a rock and a hard place. But it does strange that FMI doesnt raise a huge issue with thie 3rd party install developer. They did an inadequate job. If it were me and my install developer screwed up the installer, you would bet that I would be all over them. Its not right that you guys are getting the flack from their mistakes.

IIRC ( except maybe one of the earlier 7 updaters ), most of the previous updaters did not require the orig FMICD folder.

How would most people, especially non-developers who do not follow board closely know this and prepare to have their CD or download ready? So if one goes to cancel it to go rummage through the office or file server to find the orig material and wants to come back later they get the issue? "Dont do that" doesnt seems like a a response that most users will accept. You guys should get that 3rd party firm to fix it properly; I mean its your money and your headache due to people even brining it up.

• 7. Re: Canceling FMP 10v2 updater doesn't restore all system settings
                      LaRetta_1

Well, there is (at least now) a red warning on the 10.0v2 Updater Read Me

It is at the bottom and it should be at the top.  And it should include 'do not cancel once started.'