7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 10:14 AM by TSGal

Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.

TimothyNees

Summary

Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

trial version 12

Operating system version

OSX

Description of the issue

upon converting a fairly complex database I found I am unable to do any administrative tasks due to the fact that I cannot access the tools menu as i do in FMpro 11 advanced.  the database loads with its file menu defaults set by me to avoid users accessing the database infrastructure and I am unable to figure out how to change this.

I may need to reconvert the database with the standard menu set installed, please advise.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Convert a database with a default file menu other than standard.  If this is an issue of fmpro 12 vs fmpro12 advanced.  Why would you send a registered user the standard trial?

Expected result

Load trial software, convert database as is. Go to Work

Actual result

Cannot access standard menu set.  Or I just haven't figured it out yet.  there is not Tools menu item, and my custom menu under file has manage deleted.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error, the database functions properly.  Just cannot get into administrative functions.

• 1. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
          TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 12 does not have access to the Tools menu (just like FileMaker Pro 11).  There is no trial version of FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced.  Therefore, if you don't have a script to change to the standard menu set, then return to FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, turn off the custom menu set, and then convert the file to FileMaker Pro 12.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
            TimothyNees

Thats what I get for rushing into a trial to check it out.  I reconverted my database after changing to filemaker standard menus and it all works fine.  The layouts look much more polished although i was a bit dissapointed to learn that Export records does not work as a script step in FMgo12. I wrote a script to search by records created today and export as filemaker file then email to my computer for import into database.  this is easily done from computer to computer but in order to do it from ipad or iphone you have to remove the export step from the script and the user manually exports the new records.  I understand the difficulty with adding a sync feature so I created a serial number system for my cards which calculates the serial number of each record based on user, device, and serial number to avoid duplicating serial numbers.  transfering the file using Itunes is too cumbersome and hosting is too slow and unreliable via cell signal, If I can export new records daily from Ipad and Iphone, import them to master database daily and send the updated file to drop box nightly for retrieval via iphone or ipad in the morning all is well.  without a script step to doit for me someone will forget to do it and the data will be lost.

• 3. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
              TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Currently, the Export Records script step will not work in FileMaker Go if you specify FileMaker, XML or Excel file formats.  The only options currently supported are CSV, TSV, .dbf, .xlsx, .htm and .mer (merge) file formats.

Is there a reason why you don't access the main file remotely with FileMaker Go?  That way, you would not need to program syncing the database file, as the changes are made in real-time, and all other guests accessing the hosted file would see those changes immediately.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
                TimothyNees

The reason for not hosting the main file is the lack of reliable connections in my area.  Even with a good cellular connection the file is very slow.  I need this to work in remote locations and without lag.  The time to create a new record on this database is between 20 and 45 minutes, add the slow speed of hosting and it turns into 1.5 hours very easily, more time on the ipad means less production for my inspectors.  A system of synchronizing the data is the only answer I can see at this time.

• 5. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
                  TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since it takes "between 20 and 45 minutes" to create a new record, have you considered a redesign?  For example, create several blank records in the table, so when a new record is needed, you would only need to find the first blank record?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
                    TimothyNees

I guess Im just not explaining properly.  The Database file I created is being used to inspect equipment at various locations. The data collected from these inspections is used by office staff to create reports, quotes and other documents pertinent to the equipment.  The inspector uses the Ipad just as he would a pad of paper, checking off items and typing comments.  The act of inspecting said equipment takes between 20 and 45 minutes uninterupted.  Add file hosting and the interruptions begin and often double the time it takes if not make it impossible in which case the old fashioned paper forms are needed.  The worst is getting half way through and then recieving a network error due to bad signals.  I did redesign the database to allow the inspector to pickup where they left off in the event of a network error or if they decided to use an iphone and a call came in, but the concensus is they would rather use paper than chance being stuck with a network problem.  

It is for this reason I would rather deal with adding the new records via email to the main file.  This is why I was hoping to see the script step in fmgo for exporting fm records.  It would be as simple as using a closing script to export new records created today,  even with bad signals and network errors the email remains intact until it is delivered.  Currently each new record is saved as pdf and automatically emailed to the office upon completion just so we have a hard copy of what was said and done, and other office staff can use this to complete the transaction with the customer.  The actual database complete with all fields and calculations in tact is what I need to keep the data flowing efficiently to the proper people in the proper manner.

• 7. Re: Cannot access administrative functions due to custom file menu set installed prior to conversion.
                      TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Thanks for the clarification.

Since FileMaker Go currently doesn't allow exporting to a FileMaker Pro file, you will have to export as CSV or use Export -> Email (as this also includes a CSV file of the data).  Then, you could import the data into the main file.  As you have discovered, exporting as PDF also gives you a copy of the information, but importing that data is more difficult than a CSV text file.

I would recommend entering this suggestion (exporting a FileMaker Pro file) into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are monitored by our Development and Product Management departments where the entries are then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post(s) and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.