fmdataweb

Summary

Cannot create .ics files to add Calendar Appointment

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I'm trying to generate Calendar appointments on the iOS Calendar app from my FileMaker database. Generating a .ics file via exporting and opening the .ics file is not allowing the user to add the appointment to their calendar.

The appointment doesn't get created in the Calendar app and there's no option to "save" or "add" to the Calendard. If I email the same .ics file that is generated to myself I can then add the appointment to the Calendar.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I'm using the demo file from this site:

http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/export-ics-calendar-files/

You can download the file from this link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hbase-files/HB-%3EExport+Calendar+Files.fmp12

Expected result

Calendar appointment is created/added to the Calendar or a "save to calendar" button option is available to save it to the calendar.

Actual result

Window appears showing calendar appointment details but no button to save/add to Calendar. See screenshot below.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

Email .ics file to myself provides option to add to Calendar.

IMG_0143.png

• 1. Re: Cannot create .ics files to add Calendar Appointment
          TSGal

stevej:

Thank you for your post.

The .ics file will not open in the Calendar app under iOS; only under Mac OS X.  If you look at the comments below the Export Records script step, it says "Toggle the "Automatically Open File" option if you don't want the file to automatically open in iCal etc.".  That is, if you double-click a .ics file in Mac OS X, it will automatically launch Calendar (previously named iCal).  Under iOS, you are limited to the FileMaker work area, and the Share options do not include the Calendar app.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.