Cannot delete tab panel from tab control

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 12.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.3

Description of the issue

When I try to delete a tab from the tab control, FM 12 unexpectedly quits. I tried recreating the layout, even created a new test DB, the problem persists. I then checked on my MacBook Pro with the same OS and the problem doesn't happen. The machine this happens on is a 2x2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Go to Layout Mode.
      Create a tab control with 2-3 tabs.
      Try to delete a tab.
      Wait 2-3 seconds or go back to browse mode.

Expected result

To be in Browse Mode with the change saved.

Actual result

FileMaker unexpectedly quits and the change is not saved.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No message but here's the log:

2012-04-08 14:45:05.384 -0400     Fm 12 test.fmp12     0     *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 15 block(s) to check
      2012-04-08 14:45:05.384 -0400     Fm 12 test.fmp12     8432     Page 15 marked free but not in free list
      2012-04-08 14:45:05.385 -0400     Fm 12 test.fmp12     0     Reset maximum block sequence number to 643
      2012-04-08 14:45:05.385 -0400     Fm 12 test.fmp12     0     *** Completed consistency check, checked 15 block(s)

Configuration information

See above.

Workaround

Remove the tab on a different machine.

• 1. Re: Cannot delete tab panel from tab control
          TSGal

Agnes B. Riley:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem on an iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.7.3.  I know it isn't the same, but I currently don't have access to a 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro.  I'm well aware that it works correctly on the second machine.

Create a new user account, login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro 12.0v1 and try to replicate the problem.  If you can't replicate the problem, then we can focus on the original user account.  If it also fails in the new user account, I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 12.0v1.

If it work in the new user account, run Disk Utility (Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility), select the hard disk, and repair disk permissions.  Try again.

Remove the Preferences file in the original user account.  You will find the file at:

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.client.pro12.plist

(I'm not 100% sure of the file name as I have FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced installed, and the preference file is named com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist)

After removal, launch FileMaker Pro so a new preferences file can be created (in case the old one was damaged) and try again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot delete tab panel from tab control
            AgnesB.Riley

Hi TSGal,

I'm on Advanced, as well. Sorry for the confusion. I have tried it with another account and the issue is not existent.

Deleting the preference file did not solve the issue. Also, I have some "shadow" files in my preferences folder: http://cloud.zerobluetech.com/1D2Z3U460a2k3F3l0w1F.

Fixed the permissions with Disk Utility; didn't solve the issue.

So, something is bugging it under my account. But funny that it only crashed so far when I deleted a tab panel.

Thanks,

Agi

• 3. Re: Cannot delete tab panel from tab control
              TSGal

Agnes B. Riley:

Thank you for the screen shot.

There should only be one com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist file.  If you remove the file and the ghost file, are two new preferences files being created on the next launching?  If you switch to the new user account, are two preference files (actual and ghost) also created?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot delete tab panel from tab control
                akliewer99

I want to join in on this issue.

This is an intermitten error. I can't find the exact reason that will "always produce" this error. But whatever it is that causes, I must be doing it often, because it is driving me "crazy". I have been "sending reports" when it crashes.

So to help solve this issue, here is a link to one of my current empty projects.

How I am producing this error with this above file. In the Desktop | Address Book layout I have created regular buttons to "look like" tab panel buttons. On the other layouts ie: Desktop | Google, I planned on deleting all but one tab and then paste in the "look like" buttons.

Basically I have used the "Starter Solution" for contacts and have modified it with additional tables. I am trying to clean up my addresss book, google contacts, iCloud, etc from all the endless synced duplicates that are replicating all through out my lists. I am going to start my syncing with clean empty files. This project is my backup of each list, just before I erase them.

Hope I've been specific enough and I am willing to do more, just let me know!

Thanks,
                Arlene :)