Summary

Cannot import Excel Database

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Original tab-delineated database from Now Contact.  Converted successfully to Excel on a PC running Office 2010 and most current version of Windows.  All OS's and programs fully updated.

Have tried saving in various versions of Excel, both PC and Mac.  The Filemaker Import function does not recognize the .xls files (grayed out in the browser/selection box) and when I try to open .xlsx get the following:  "The selected Excel workbook has an unsupported file format.  Please convert the workbook to the Excel 2007, or Excel 2008 file format and try again."

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have tried saving this file in 97-2004 both Mac and PC as well as Excel 2010 in both Mac and PC.  Consistently the same result.

Expected result

Import of data into Filemaker Pro

Actual result

See above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The selected Excel workbook has an unsupported file format.  Please convert the workbook to the Excel 2007, or Excel 2008 file format and try again.

Configuration information

See agove

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Cannot import Excel Database
          philmodjunk

Original tab-delineated database from Now Contact.

Since this is a tab delimitted file, why not use that file format for importing your data?

• 2. Re: Cannot import Excel Database
            TSGal

C L Huddleston:

Thank you for your post.

I'm able to import Excel files (both .xls and .xlsx files) into FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 without any issues.  I know that doesn't help you, but if you create a new temporary Excel file, save it, and then have FileMaker Pro try to import that file, does it work?  If so, then either the original file is damaged, or FileMaker Pro cannot process something in the file.  Therefore, return to Excel, open the original file and the new file, and copy the contents of the original file and paste it into the new file.  Save the file and try to import again into FileMaker Pro.

I realize some time has passed since your post, so if you have since found a resolution, please post here so others who have a similar issue can benefit.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.