Summary

Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Description of the issue

I had a solution in testing, hosted in FM 13 (the project began prior to FM 14 release).  Last week we moved from testing to production.  When we moved to the production server (FMS 14) I changed the containers from embedded to external.  The container stores a pdf copy of an invoice.

If I store the PDF as "Interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc)", then I cannot see the file.  I can only see the file if I set the container as "Images (JPEG, PNG, BMP, etc)".

I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader, but am still unable to view the PDF in the container.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Use a Mac without Adobe Acrobat.
      2. Create an externally stored container field in a hosted file.
      3. Set the container field as "Interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc)".
      4. Using data from the database (e.g. invoice line items and invoice header), create a PDF document in the temp file (e.g. filemac:/Macintosh HD/var/folders/xz/d3782t5s7pd5j688j0y23jv80000gp/T/S10/Invoice 1.pdf)
      5. Import the file into the container field.

Expected result

View and interact with the PDF in the container field.

Actual result

Nothing shows in the container field.  It looks empty.  However, the field does container the pdf file.  I have a calc field: INVOICE::hasInvoicePDF = Length ( INVOICE::invoicePDF ) which shows that the container field is receiving the imported data from the temp file.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears.

Configuration information

Windows Server 2012 R2
      FileMaker Server 14
      FileMaker Pro Advanced 14
      Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
      Preview (used to be able to view container PDFs with Preview).
      Adobe Acrobat Reader for Mac

Workaround

None.

Unable_to_view_PDF.png

• 1. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
          TSGal

Daniel Shanahan:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v9, I created a database file with a Text field and a Container field.

2. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 14.0.2.

3. I accessed the file using FileMaker Pro 14.0.1, and changed the Container field to External open storage.

4. I changed the layout so there are two instances of the Container field on the layout.  One formatted for Interactive content.

5. With my cursor in the Interactive content Container field for the first record, I pulled down the Insert menu and selected "PDF...".  I selected a multi-page PDF document, and it displays as a PDF document in the Interactive content Container field, and the first page displays as an image in the non-Interactive Container field.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
            DanielShanahan

Thanks TSGal, for your prompt testing.

There is a slight difference in process, but I don't think that matters.  I did some more testing.

1. Downloaded a copy of a backup from the host.

2. Changed the container field to embed rather than external.

Still didn't work.

3. Created a new container field in this backup, local file.

4. Kept the field as embedded.

5. Inserted a PDF.

I think the PDF is in there, but I still can't see it.

6. Closed the file (all of the above has been in FMPA 14.0.1

7. Opened the file in FMPA 13.0v5

The PDF files now display.  However, I have to scroll down before they appear in the window.  Nonetheless, it works.  When I right click, I get a full menu (Reload, Open with Preview, Automatically Resize, etc.) whereas in FMPA 14, only Reload appears when right clicking.

I can send the file.  Let me know if that would be helpful.

• 3. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
              TSGal

Daniel Shanahan:

Thank you for the additional information.

If the PDF displays in FileMaker Pro 13 but not in FileMaker Pro 14, then I definitely want to see a copy of the file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                DanielShanahan

Thanks, TSGal.

I submitted the file as requested.  For this thread, I also want to include documentation of the discrepancy between FMP13 and FMP14.  Attached is an image of the Events starter template in FMP 13.  I added a container field and set it to Interactive Content (PDF, MP3, etc).  The PDF appears as expected.

• 5. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                  DanielShanahan

And here is the same file in FMP 14.

• 6. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                    TSGal

Daniel Shanahan:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate the issue.  The PDF file displays fine for me under FileMaker Pro 14.  I have sent a screen shot of what I'm viewing to our Technical Support contact, so you should receive that email soon.  If you do not receive the screen shot within an hour, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent to you immediately.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                      TSGal

Daniel Shanahan:

I created the Event Management.fmp12 database in FileMaker Pro 13, added the Container field, formatted the Container field for Interactive content, inserted a PDF file, closed the file, and then opened the file in FileMaker Pro 14.  Again, all looks fine.  See the screen shot below.

Since an Interactive Container field is the same as a Web Viewer, perhaps the issue is the browser Adobe plug-ins.  Try removing AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin files from Macintosh HD -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins folder.  Reboot your machine and try again.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                        DanielShanahan

TSGal,

Thanks for testing the file.  One thing that has not been addressed is the PDF reader.  The only PDF reader I had was Preview.  I did not have Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Based on this thread:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/85215

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader, but that did not change anything, as far as I can tell.

It sounds like you and a technical support contact were able to see the PDF.  Do you each have Adobe Acrobat Reader?  If so, what, if any, connection is there?

• 9. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                          TSGal

Daniel Shanahan:

I was using Adobe Reader 11.0.1 default reader, but also used Preview as the default reader; both under Mac OS X 10.10.4.  I'm assuming you didn't have the Adobe plug-ins in the Library -> Internet Plug-Ins folder.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                            JosephConway

I can replicate this issue.  I have a long-time client who has been using interactive containers for years.  We upgraded him to FM14 in late June.  No problems until last week.  First a few clients, now all clients including me cannot view interactive containers.  Files are pdf, uploaded daily, stored externally.  There is also an unstored calculation flag we use to display files in  a container so they cannot be modified and still allow interaction.  NONE of these work as of today for ANY clients including FM13.  Server & Clients all Macs running OS 10.9 & 10.10

• 11. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14

Joseph Conway:

Thank you for the reply. 

Did you try the following suggestion from above?

“Since an Interactive Container field is the same as a Web Viewer, perhaps the issue is the browser Adobe plug-ins.  Try removing AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin files from Macintosh HD -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins folder. Reboot your machine and try again.”

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                                karendweaver

There is no Adobe plug in on the server or on my client machine.  I did not check all machines at my clients location - he's about 40 miles from me.  However, I don't think that is the issue because I know that some of his clients have never had adobe installed and use only Preview, and I did find a solution last night.   Also, this client does have Web Viewers and they were working properly.  

The problem was caused when there was a power outage at the clients location ( I did not find out about this till after posting,)  They had an outage about a week ago.  The FM server auto-restarted - they only knew there was an outage because another server did not restart.  After the restart, clients began to intermittently lose access to the interactive containers, until by Monday no client had access.  I also found that I could not remotely access the FMS Admin tool - got an error message that the server was not available.  It worked okay locally, but was slow to respond.  We had a similar issue with FMS 13 last year that was solved by restarting, so I asked the client about power outages and got the info, then we decided to restart overnight as other functions were working.

To fix - I turned off the auto-start.  Then restarted the machine until my remote access to the admin tool was working again.  Then  I checked the containers and they were displaying interactive properly. as well  The server was FMS 14.1, I afterward updated to FMS14.2 with no additional issues.  

This database handles document storage and tracks due dates for reporting purposes.  Has about 35 GB of documents so far, all stored externally in secure storage.  I don't think the external storage is the issue, more something with the interactive containers when the server does not properly restart.  Hope this info helps someone.

And - I logged in under the wrong account inadvertently, (it does have my email but wrong name) so including my real contact info below. In case you have follow up questions.

Karen Weaver  email:  fmlist@ddtinc.net

Desert Dog Technology Inc.

• 13. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                                  DonClark

I have a new FM 14 server install that will not allow interaction, either.  When I view it on the home table, I can drop items it, but cannot see them. 

When it is in a related portal that is inside a slider that is inside a popover, iI can see the pdf's but they are not interactive. Also, video/audio loading is not in the contextual menu, and is greyed out in the regular menu. 

You can see a short video here:

http://screencast.com/t/BZHDGHPI

It is a swf, so on a Mac you will need to drag it onto an open browser window to watch it. 

This is iMac running Yosemite.  Fully patched.  And I just upgraded it from 14. 3 to 14.4.  And restarted. Adobe is not installed and never has been.  We stated with a clean install of Yosemite.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 14. Re: Cannot interact with External Container PDF in FMP 14
                                    TSGal

DonClark:

This is not supported.  As stated in FileMaker Pro 14 Help (Working with audio and video in interactive containers):

"You cannot work interactively with container fields that are in portals. However, you can if the container field is in a popover within a portal."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next