1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 2:04 PM by Benjamin Fehr

Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common

thaiss

Summary

Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP10

Operating system version

Win 7 Pro, 66 bit

Description of the issue

Hello,

I support a few dozen computer that use FileMaker Pro 10. Over the last three months users have been getting cannot load dictionary error when they try to enter data. It is inconsistant but spreading. Most users use Win7 Pro (64) with Office products.

A reinstall of FMP10 can work. But we have FMP locked down, so users can't turn off setting or effect the database outside of the data entry screens.

If the error occurs it can be intermittent or on every keystroke. Also, if you go to edit dictionary; it will error.

I have created a new dictionary, but this doesn’t solve the issue.

In all cases the dictionary is local and located in the default location. I have tried copying a version of the US dictionary from a pc without this issue to one that has it and it doesn’t fix it.

Sometimes it takes multiple installs to fix the issue. We have been using FMP for maybe a decade and on FMP10 for a year or two without issue.

All pc’s use BitDefender and Office products.

We are considering upgrading FMP, but this might not fix the issue.

I have looked through the Forum extensively and not found a solution. Turning off "check questionable words" is not a solution.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open remote database.

Enter a screen with editable field. Type.

When error is happening. You could go edit > edit dictionary (or select dictionary) and it will not find it.

All installs use a local dictionary in default location.

Expected result

Error when you type, sometimes first keystroke, sometimes after many.

Actual result

Error message.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Cannot load dictionary

Configuration information

We have FMP10 on 30 pcs, all Win7 pro. We used to have a lot of XP boxes.

All pcs have 4 gb or more ram and use an up-today version of BitDefender.

Workaround

I have heard that we could turn off "check questionable words"

• 1. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common

Timothy Haiss:

Thank you for the post. 

"All pc’s use BitDefender"

As a test, if BitDefender is uninstalled, then does the issue still occur?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
            thaiss

TSFalcon

Errors are intermittent.

I have tried removing BitDefender but didn’t get any error prior, during or after reinstalling BitDefender.

If I remove dictionary totally, I get no spellcheck but no errors too (unless I try to select a dictionary or edit it)

We have about 200 pc to support and 30-40 of them use Filemaker. Over the last month all of them have gotten dictionary errors, some multiple times. The only solution is to uninstall, deleted filemaker folder and install. We have a few machines that we have done this on 5-6 times.

Do you know if a temp file is created or used when spell check underlining is taking place? I assume since our people don’t edit the dictionary that it can function as a read only file in default location.

thanks.

• 3. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common

Timothy Haiss:

Thank you for the reply. 

"I have tried removing BitDefender but didn’t get any error prior, during or after reinstalling BitDefender."

No errors occurred without BitDefender installed, correct?

"The only solution is to uninstall, deleted filemaker folder and install. We have a few machines that we have done this on 5-6 times."

A couple of questions:

1. Did those computers include BitDefender? 

2. Did the error ever occur without BitDefender installed?

I am not aware of a temp file being created; however, other users report that this error does not occur without BitDefender installed.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                thaiss

To clarify in my test earlier, I couldn't get an error on computer prior to uninstalling Bitdefender, nor did I get one after installing bitDefender. The client experienced these errors.

A client used FileMaker for a few hours without error when, BitDefender wasn't present. That being said they used FileMaker without error daily for almost a year with BitDefender present and active.

It is an intermittent issue but one by one has effected all our FileMaker users. It doesn't seem to correspond to a single event. Often restartingFilemaker will solve it for a while.

All our Windows PC's use an updated version of BitDefender.

The error didn't occur on this one PC with BitDefender removed.

That being said they used FileMaker without error daily for almost a year with BitDefender present and active. We don't allow computers to be used without active protection. I am looking to find a Win7 (64bit) pc to use as a test machine, FilemakerPro can go a long time without this error, but once is comes up a restart is required or possibly a reinstall.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                  philmodjunk

Perhaps an update of BitDefender resulted in this issue when it did not originally occur with that software installed.

Perhaps you could replace BitDefender with a different anti-virus utility to see if that makes a difference?

• 6. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                    thaiss

PhilModJunk 

I am interesting in pursuing the Bid Defender idea, but have over 25 systems with same versions of FileMaker and Bit Defender (updated) working.

If I knew what to exclude from scans...

• 7. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                      thaiss

Recently, set up FMPrp 13 with copy of DB on new server. Error is appearing in testing with FMP13, as it had in FMP10. We have about 15 people testing with FMP13.

If the error happens, restarting the software usually fixes it. Turning off the spell check isn't an option. We can concurrently run FMP10 and FMP13 as separate application on the same pc.

Can anyone tell me what temporary places FMP uses when launched; especially with spell check is being used?

• 8. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                        Streamtime_1

I've spent the best part of a day investigating this for one of our clients with no luck. My steps are below - at this stage i've asked them to remove Bitdefender from one of the machines so we can try to resolve it.

Error:
                        cannot load main spelling dictionary
                        Issue is intermittent. Make changes, it works for a period of time the error appears again
                        Occurring on multiple machines running Windows 7

Troubleshooting:
                        Tested error in FM template that comes with FMP - issue remained
                        Originally FMP 12.0v4 was installed
                        Uninstalled and re-installed - same error

Tested rolling back to earlier FMP 12.0v2 - worked for a short time then error returned.

- Copied dictionary folder from a known good machine, restarted FMP and issue remained.
                        - Changed permissions of FMP to run as admin - issue remained
                        - Run in compatibility mode for XP SP3 - issue remained

- Edit > Spelling > use main spelling dictionary only - issue returned after some time. Also the setting is returned to default when relaunching FMP in any case.
                        - The default shows C:\…\Roaming\FielMaker\FileMaker Pro\12.0\User.upr but User.upr does not exist.
                        - Created User.upr in this location and tested - issue remained

Advised client to remove Betdefender so we can test.

• 9. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                          rfrazee@arguspacific.com

We have Filemaker Pro 11 and 12 and BitDefender Cloud-based installed on several Windows 7 computers. We were able to positively identify the cause for the Cannot Load Main Dictionary as being BitDefender. A call to Filemaker support confirmed that they had heard about BitDefender interfering with Filemaker from others. If you assign a policy that basic turns off all anti-virus service, Filemaker no longer gives the dictionary error. If you turn it back on it immediately returns. It is sometimes constant whenever you try to type a character and sometimes intermittent but if you turn off BitDefender it immediately stops giving the error. Turn BitDefender back on, and there is the error immediately.

I haven't identified what part of BitDefender causes it or if there is an anti-virus policy setting that can just be turned off rather than all settings turned off or uninstall of BitDefender. I am going to switch to Sophos or contact BitDefender support of advise. It isn't a problem with Filemaker.

• 10. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                            thaiss

I was able to resolve issue by adding a process exclusion for filemaker.exe in BitDefender and a file exclusion in BitDefender for the dictionary file itself. We have 40-50 pcs of different OS using FMPro13 without issue and this worked with FMPro10 as well.

• 11. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                              ChrisStapleton

Timothy, would it be possible for you to post the exact settings you made to BitDefender for the process and file exclusions. We are having the same issues and I'd like to try this solution.

• 12. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                                thaiss

Sure. I did three, most likely just one, the correct one was needed in BitDefender Anitmalware Exclusions.

With some other applications, we had to ask BitDefender support to customize and they did. This example we just added exclusions and were successful.

Folder          C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker

File              C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 13\Extensions\Dictionaries\usenglish

Process       C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 13\FileMaker Pro.exe

• 13. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                                  ChrisStapleton

Great, thanks Timothy. I'll report back to this thread after we have tried it out.

• 14. Re: Cannot load dictionary errors, becoming common
                                    ryan.thompson

Hi All,

I'm working with our managed IT provider on exclusions similar to yours Timothy, as we're experiencing the same problem.. I have no experience administering AV, so some of the particulars of these exclusions may be lost on me.. I'm curious why on your file exclusion you didn't include the .mpr file type suffix. Also curious, yours spells out english entirely in usenglish, is that correct? Mine is usenglsh.mpr 

Not sure if those discrepancies could cause our exclusions to fall short of solving the dictionaries issue.. and unfortunately i'm not in a position to do the fiddling myself.. 

Chris, did you get the exclusions to solve your issue?

Thanks!!

1 2 3 Previous Next